What's new

pioneer elite vsx 4 no dolby digital support? (1 Viewer)

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
i was considering purchasing this reciever, but i just noticed from the specs that it does not say dolby digital but only pro logic 2 and dts es..

am i missing something here? does it support dolby but just doesnt specify because of legality issues? i just see surround ex, sorry im still new

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'm not sure exactly which receiver you are referring to, but all of the receivers in pioneer's current lineup support dolby digital surround ex, dts es, and dolby pro logic II.
i just see surround ex
that means dolby digital surround ex.

CJ

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,71338,00.html

thats the receiver im refering to, there not one mention of dolby digital anywhere in the specs, is surround ex basically a generic decoder for dd ex? will it support dd 5.1? the specs mention dts and pro logic, but nowhere does it mention dd.

though the higher end elites mention dd ex in their decoder listings

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
by the way, welcome to the forum. that receiver will do dd ex and everything 'lower'. that means it will do dd 5.1 and all other formats of dd. i dont think you will be able to find a receiver that does NOT decode dolby digital, as it is the official sound format of dvd. so basically evey receiver you find will decode at least dd 5.1, some will do dd ex 6.1, and most will decode dts 5.1, some will do dts es 6.1. i'm not really sure why they say surround ex, it means that dd ex can eb decoded by this receiver. and about that receiver, i would think about getting the top receiver in the non-elite line, basically the same, but you will sava a few bucks. for under $800 from yahoo shopping, you can get the vsx-45tx unit, a very nice machine. the auto mcacc and learning remote make it a very good value. best of luck.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks