Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help figuring out size for a Stryke Sonotube

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 FredC

FredC

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 09:16 AM

I posted this on teh Stryke forum also, but thought I would get a good idea here too.

I plan on building a sonosub with either an AV12 or AV15, but am not good with the modelling tools. I'm just trying to figure out what size I would be looking at to tune the sub to 17-20 Hz. I will most likely be using either 18 or 24 inch Sonotube, and it will be ported, not sure diameter, but probably 4-6 inch PVC. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to order the driver in this pre-order. Thanks alot!

Fred

#2 of 10 TimForman

TimForman

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 11:09 AM

More info please. Do you prefer flat bass response or do you want it to "hit you in the chest"? Do you listen to a lot of music? If so, what kind? How much room do you have for a sub?

#3 of 10 FredC

FredC

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 04:35 AM

I will use for mostly movies, probably 80/20 movies/music. Music is pretty diverse, from Country to Rap. I don't have a room size yet as I will most likely be moving in the near future, but don't want anything huge. I plan on using a bottom plate below the feet, I'd like to keep it under 5 ft. tall.

As for flat bass response or hit me in the chest, I'm not sure. What are the characteristics of flat bass response? I'm guessing pretty even performance to a point and then it deteriorates?

Thanks

#4 of 10 TimForman

TimForman

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 06:05 AM

Some people build (or buy) very accurate subs and then are disappointed because it doesn't give them the big "punch" like a car sub. A good accurate sub like a Tempest in a sealed enclosure will go very deep and shake your house but it doesn't make your chest feel like it's caving in. Those types usually exaggerate the mid-bass frequencies. It really depends on personal preference. For movies most people enjoy some "punchy" bass like a vented Sonotube provides but not so much for music. Ones that don't like to compromise may build two different subs.

#5 of 10 TimForman

TimForman

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 06:31 AM

Here's what I would do.
Stryke AV15
Sonotube 18"Dx40 1/4"L
Parts Express Precision port 4"Dx9"L

168.4 liters
tuned at 21.8 Hz

#6 of 10 FredC

FredC

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 07:15 AM

I guess I would fall somewhere in the middle if that's possible. I don't really crank up the volume to reference levels anyway, so I I don't want anything "boomy". I will be upgrading from a JBL PSB-10 which sounded ok, until the amp went out.

Thanks

#7 of 10 TimForman

TimForman

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 07:36 AM

I think my recommendation stands then. It's very flat into the 20's but should still give you the results you want for movies. It's a good compromise. DustinB made something similar with an Adire Tempest. Dustin's Sonosub

#8 of 10 FredC

FredC

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 07:38 AM

Thanks alot for your help. I look forward to building this.

#9 of 10 Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 02:57 PM

i was told that dual 4 in ports i would have problems with. and you are recomending a single 4.
there are olny 2 types of people in the world the irish and thoes who want to be irish

#10 of 10 TonyiBe

TonyiBe

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 03:10 PM

BRyan,

I am running a AV15 in 6.5ft3 with dual 4" flared ports. WoW i can't imagine wanting more BASS. I get a headache after a short while of watching a movie with the volume pupmped up..