Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help figuring out size for a Stryke Sonotube

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   FredC

FredC

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 09:16 AM

I posted this on teh Stryke forum also, but thought I would get a good idea here too.

I plan on building a sonosub with either an AV12 or AV15, but am not good with the modelling tools. I'm just trying to figure out what size I would be looking at to tune the sub to 17-20 Hz. I will most likely be using either 18 or 24 inch Sonotube, and it will be ported, not sure diameter, but probably 4-6 inch PVC. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to order the driver in this pre-order. Thanks alot!

Fred

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   TimForman

TimForman

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 11:09 AM

More info please. Do you prefer flat bass response or do you want it to "hit you in the chest"? Do you listen to a lot of music? If so, what kind? How much room do you have for a sub?

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   FredC

FredC

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 04:35 AM

I will use for mostly movies, probably 80/20 movies/music. Music is pretty diverse, from Country to Rap. I don't have a room size yet as I will most likely be moving in the near future, but don't want anything huge. I plan on using a bottom plate below the feet, I'd like to keep it under 5 ft. tall.

As for flat bass response or hit me in the chest, I'm not sure. What are the characteristics of flat bass response? I'm guessing pretty even performance to a point and then it deteriorates?

Thanks

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   TimForman

TimForman

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 06:05 AM

Some people build (or buy) very accurate subs and then are disappointed because it doesn't give them the big "punch" like a car sub. A good accurate sub like a Tempest in a sealed enclosure will go very deep and shake your house but it doesn't make your chest feel like it's caving in. Those types usually exaggerate the mid-bass frequencies. It really depends on personal preference. For movies most people enjoy some "punchy" bass like a vented Sonotube provides but not so much for music. Ones that don't like to compromise may build two different subs.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   TimForman

TimForman

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 06:31 AM

Here's what I would do.
Stryke AV15
Sonotube 18"Dx40 1/4"L
Parts Express Precision port 4"Dx9"L

168.4 liters
tuned at 21.8 Hz

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   FredC

FredC

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 07:15 AM

I guess I would fall somewhere in the middle if that's possible. I don't really crank up the volume to reference levels anyway, so I I don't want anything "boomy". I will be upgrading from a JBL PSB-10 which sounded ok, until the amp went out.

Thanks

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   TimForman

TimForman

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 07:36 AM

I think my recommendation stands then. It's very flat into the 20's but should still give you the results you want for movies. It's a good compromise. DustinB made something similar with an Adire Tempest. Dustin's Sonosub

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   FredC

FredC

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 07:38 AM

Thanks alot for your help. I look forward to building this.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor

• 564 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 02:57 PM

i was told that dual 4 in ports i would have problems with. and you are recomending a single 4.
there are olny 2 types of people in the world the irish and thoes who want to be irish

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   TonyiBe

TonyiBe

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 03:10 PM

BRyan,

I am running a AV15 in 6.5ft3 with dual 4" flared ports. WoW i can't imagine wanting more BASS. I get a headache after a short while of watching a movie with the volume pupmped up..