What's new

Argument Thread--What to Change in Zelda? (1 Viewer)

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
OK, so I've just finished the Forbidden Woods in the Wind Waker and I'm thinking, "I really like this game, but it's too much like OoT so far." I've read many other threads that say the same thing. But, when I think about it, changing the tried and true formula for Zelda is a sure fire way to kill everything that makes Zelda so much fun.

Nintendo took a huge risk in changing Metroid to a first-person view and it paid off big time. Mario Sunshine is basically Mario 64 all over again and was rated by Gamespot as the Most Disappointing GameCube title of 2002. What about Zelda? There's no major improvements, but I can't think of anything that I would change about the Zelda franchise.

So, for all of you nay sayers that claim WW is a bad (or not as good) game simply because it's too much like OoT, I would enjoy hearing your suggestions for future Zelda games. I'm all about "improving" games, but is the improvement worth the cost? Just curious; post your thoughts here.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
The only major thing I'd change so far, is that the game doesn't feel like Hyrule
what with all the sailing and water. I know it is as I've been inside the sunken Hyrule castle on two different occasions but the entrance the the main part of Hyrule is blocked by a magic barrier
. I'm still not super far into the game so perhaps this is addressed later on. All in all I enjoye the game and if they could fix that problem I'd have little to complain about the game.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I felt the same way about the game at the point you are now. It changes for the better.

Mike

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The point I'm at, the last temple I've played is the Wind Temple. I don't know for sure, but I assume there aren't going to be many more temples after this. That's the one thing I would change (which would, of course, make it more like Ocarina also): more temples.

It's funny, but I usually despise the idea of dungeons. I think it's a holdover from the Ultima days where dungeons were nothing more than glorified mazes. In Zelda games, they tend to be the highlight. It's Myst with combat and more freedom, but I love it.

When I started the Earth Temple, I thought I was going to hate it. I dreaded the idea of having to play nursemaid. It wasn't like that at all, and that temple was a joy.

Other than that, I would like to see even more to do in the towns. In Majora's, helping the townspeople was such a major part of the whole experience. Here, there's some of that, but it's pretty watered down. It should always be optional, but I'd like to have a lot I could do.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Funny that Dave's complaint is basically that it's not enough like Ocarina.
That's exactly what I thought, too. I guess that's my point, OoT is so great; if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I'll agree all day that the sailing gets tedious, but I hear that changes. I picked up a few more items in the game last night, it just keeps getting better for me.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Recently, the developers at Ubi Soft decided to shake things up with their most popular franchise the Rayman series. Rather than focus their attention on what made the first two games in that series such a success - namely the platforming aspects of the game - they opted to turn Rayman 3 into a brawler, in which you do very little in the way of platforming. Although Rayman 3 is by all accounts a good game, it lacks the magic that the fans loved about Rayman 2.

I would hate to see the same thing happen with the Zelda series. No matter which edition of the series you play, be it on the NES, Super NES, GameBoy, N64, or GameCube, the basic formula has remained consistent. The only difference is that each edition adds a unique gameplay element to separate itself from the other games. A Link to the Past created the concept of a Light and Dark World, which were interconnected. Oracle of Seasons gave you the ability to change the seasons within the game to reach different places. Majora's Mask added a time limit and the functional use of masks. The Wind Waker adds the sailing element and the ability to play as two characters in dungeons. Despite these differences, each game features an overworld you must explore and several dungeons that must be conquered.

I love The Wind Waker precisely because it feels a lot like Ocarina of Time but with all those little tweaks and improvments. We should all be so lucky that more videogames could successfully emulate the feel of that title.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Too short! I'm collecting triforce, in prepration for entering Hyrule. I'm pretty sure that once I've gotten all 8, I enter the castle, figure out a dungeon, and beat Gannon. I've been playing a lot, but I feel like I've been whipping right through the game. I've been taking some time recently to do more sidequests while I'm collecting the triforce pieces.

Also, the game seems really easy. I've died only once so far, during a boss battle, which was because I didn't bring a fairy, and I hadn't figured out how to beat that boss yet. Some areas were difficult, such as Hyrule castle after getting the master sword and collecting the TriForce piece on Outset Island, but again, not really challenging.

By the way, I really enjoy fighting the iron knuckles :)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Graeme;

I was thinking the same thing. Zelda is not a platformer. There is no need for a jump button, and
the automatic jumping feature works beautifully.

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the jump button, if for no reason other than a slight time saver. It frustrates the hell out of me that I can walk up to a railing, and can not jump over it, or a fence or whatever little hindering obstacle lies in the way. Sure you can kill a hell bent lava monster, but damn those little rocks. It may be nothing more than a comfort thing, but necessary little comfort thing. I disliked Starfox Adventures for the same reason. More of an annoyance than anything else.

KC

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Why does it need a jump button?
Zelda gives you a huge world to explore and you don't feel the need to jump around? I can't stand being confined to the ground. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing them take it a step further and adding some platforming elements to the puzzles, Wind Waker is insultingly easy.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Zelda gives you a huge world to explore and you don't feel the need to jump around? I can't stand being confined to the ground. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing them take it a step further and adding some platforming elements to the puzzles, Wind Waker is insultingly easy.
Totally agree. My only real complaint so far is how damn easy it is. I also wouldn't mind seeing some platforming elements added if for no other reason than a little diversity.

paul_v

Second Unit
I wish they had a text speed adjuster. That's the only thing that has annoyed me with the new Zelda. Sometimes I wish to zip through the text...especially if I've seen the part of the story

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
The old jump button argument again. We've been through this with Star Fox.

I also would love a jump button. Krystian & James both make great points. Just to save time, & have some fun with.
Also the auto jump caused me to fall off the top of the God's Tower for instance. Caused me to auto jump over the edge instead of maybe Link grabbing on if he just fell off.
This sort of thing happens with the auto jump.
Also just to be able to fall off an edge to grab a item or fall into a fairy hole would be nice. How many times have we all auto jumped when we didn't want to?
Plus the more player control over the character the better imo.

While the camera is better here, I hope they continue to refine it in the future.

Also agreeing with Paul the ability to speed up & skip text.

As far as comparing this to OoT...
I think it was just as much a pain in the ass to get around in OoT. Especially early in the game. Epona later, helped as well as the warp songs.
I understand there will be a way to warp in TWW just from clues in the game, but I have not gotten to that point yet.

Honestly I am finding traveling much more interesting in TWW over OoT. Also even though many of the play mechanics are the same across both games, TWW has smoothed things up, plus it just feels like an entirely different game to me.

Sorry to ramble a bit, but yea add the damn jump button, & ability to skip text. :)

Todd

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
It frustrates the hell out of me that I can walk up to a railing, and can not jump over it, or a fence or whatever little hindering obstacle lies in the way.
If you can't jump up onto a railing, it's because they don't want you to. If they added a jump button, you probably still couldn't jump up onto those particular rainlings and fences.

The game lets you jump when you need to, and if they added a jump button, it wouldn't mean you'd have more freedom or be able to do more than you could now, it just means they'd have to redesign the game a bit to not let you do those things.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Perhaps we could reach some sort of a compromise with the jump button. Anyone who has played the GameBoy Zeldas knows that they feature an item called Roc's Feather. This little device gives you the ability to jump around over obstacles. If they offered an item like this for special circumstances, I would be fine with a jumping mechanism.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks