What's new

Powered Speakers? (1 Viewer)

MikeShea

Agent
I noticed a trend a couple of years ago for self-powered speakers or speakers with built-in powered subwoofers.

I like the idea of a self contained speaker that can go from 20hz to 20khz in a single box but I understand the issues with a built-in sub and non-ideal positioning.

Is the concept of powered "active" speakers still around? Are there any new hot contendors for a full-range speaker that doesn't need monoamps to properly run?

Or have people given up and gone back to the simple receiver -> passive speaker -> boxed powered sub approach?

Thanks for the input!

Mike
http://liquidtheater.com/

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
Active speakers are still around but mostly in the pro audio. They just never caught on with consumers. I've heard others have used active studio monitors in their hometheaters with fantastic results.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I think he's talking about speakers with active bass sections and not the pro audio "fully" active speakers. The difference, of course, being that "active speakers" means all the drivers are powered by an internal amp.

Many, many companies offer speakers with active bass sections. Infinity, Definitive Technology, Boston Acoustics, Polk, Paradigm...the list goes on and on.

MikeShea

Agent
I was actually interested in both, but it would make sense that the built-in powered sub is more common.

Two more questions:

1. How are the results on a speaker with a built in sub compared to a normal speaker with a single external sub. Is there a noticable difference?

2. How would one run truly active studio monitors in a home theater? What kind of decoder to they need? Just a preamp / processor?

Thanks for the info!

Mike
http://liquidtheater.com/

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
All you need is a preamp or a receiver with preamp outs. Balanced outputs are prefered but RCAs will work very well too.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
1. How are the results on a speaker with a built in sub compared to a normal speaker with a single external sub. Is there a noticable difference?
That really depends upon your room and how you set it up. Generally speaking a system using a separate sub is more flexible. However, both can provide excellent results when set up properly.

Another factor to consider is if a powered tower will play deep enough (for your needs).

There aren't many active speakers on the market. The biggest name in active speakers is probably Genelec http://www.genelec.com/. They specialize in pro audio but offer consumer models as well. They are very, very good speakers and are price accordingly.

Paradigm used to make an active model. I'm pretty sure they have stopped production on it. Perhaps someone will chime in with info on other full active solutions.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
If you desire to look into good active pro audio equipment
look at the best names in the industry...

Mackie

Halfer

M&K

Those are the 3 i'd look at first if you want to look at
fully active monitors. Behringer also has delved into this
arena with the new Truth Series Pro Monitors and there are
a handfull of other companies. Take a look at www.musiciansfriend.com
they cary everything pro and they handle Mackie, Hafer, Behringer,
Genelec etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks