What's new

ESPN News (1 Viewer)

Walter.S

Auditioning
I show a 1/2" black border the entire right side of the screen when viewing "ESPN News" on digital cable. When they omit the 'scoreboard' across the bottom of the screen, I have a full image. It's not my TV, but I'd like to know if anyone else has this problem before I make any more calls to the cable company. Anyone that does have ESPN News, please comment.

markc

Grip
I work at ESPNEWS and I am the lead director for NEWS. The slight black borders on both sides are normal. When we changed looks 1 1/2 years ago, we adopted the new bottom line which is quite large. We didn't want to distort the image by compressing the image to fit the bottom line. All we did was to squeeze the video back and very slightly stretched the video to get rid of some of the black border. This kept the integrity of the video quality while implementing the new bottom line

Walter.S

Auditioning
markc:

Thank you! I've posted this question on quite a few forums and this is the first answer I've received. This is a better way to go than using the compression. When my local CBS affiliate compresses the image during the local news, the newscasters look like they have gained twenty pounds.

TyR

Grip
I've been wondering about this too. Well, I knew there was nothing screwey about my TV or feed, since I've noticed it in multiple people's houses, but I did wonder why it was like that. Now I know!

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I noticed this too awhile back but kept forgeting about it, I thought my TV was jacked up or my Direct TV was a problem. Thanks for the answer.

markc, get me a date with Suzy Kolber, I am 28 so age shouldn't be a problem.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks