What's new

Stargate SG-1 Movie in jeopardy. Do something... (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
SOURCE Gateworld Spinoff News

The Sci-fi channel has announced that they've greenlit Stargate : Atlantis for the 2004/2005 season. As a result, the Stargate SG-1 movie that was to bridge between Stargate SG-1 and Stargate : Atlantis has been put into question.

MGM and Scifi are deciding now whether to downgrade the planned theatrical film to TV movie status and air it on the Scifi channel in 2004 between the end of SG1 and the beginning of Atlantis.

I beleive this is a mistake. Airing the planned SG1 film as a TV movie will reduce or destroy chances for SG-1 to become a viable film series. I think it would benefit all parties: Scifi, MGM, and the producers & cast of SG-1 for this first film to be theatrical.

I've contacted Gateworld, one of the primary Stargate fan sites to seek their assistance in developping a call in/write in campaign to assure that this film goes theatrical. We succeeded before in saving SG-1 when it was to end in season 5. I think we can succeed again if we try here.

I'll post further contact information as it become available. No petition has been created yet as internet petitions are far less effective than call in and write in campaigns.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Stargate did start out as a movie, but I feel if they do a TV movie after the TV series wraps, then SG-1 (not Stargate in general) will be seen as a TV property only. I think a theatrical film would not only spur interest in SG-1 and Atlantis, but it would allow for future feature films with the SG-1 cast.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I know there was a lot more talk about a movie a few years back, but that was before Showtime dropped it. I'm not sure if I'd want a movie now, as the whole thing has been a series for years.

I did think just yesterday after the Atlantis thread appeared that their best bet would be to end the series without an ending, and put the ending in a movie as a prequel to Atlantis too, but outside of Trek, how many movies have really suceeded from a TV series?

I don't think the revenues would be that great, especially with us being able to buy the DVD's, which all of the fans would anyway, and once SG-1 is over, I don't think we would have to wait that long until all of the seasons were out on DVD.

Just my nickel
Glenn

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Unlike Trek, SG-1 has a LARGE J6P audience. I think it'd do pretty decently, especially if it rocked

Terry St

Second Unit
I beleive this is a mistake. Airing the planned SG1 film as a TV movie will reduce or destroy chances for SG-1 to become a viable film series.
---
I think a theatrical film would not only spur interest in SG-1 and Atlantis, but it would allow for future feature films with the SG-1 cast.
The way Stargate has transitioned from film to a TV-series makes this move back to film a bit messy, to say the least. Would it be better to have Stargate return to the silver screen as a souped-up TV show or as a true sequel to the original film? Let's face it, Kurt Russel is by far the better actor and is more appropriately cast as O'Neil. Macgyver on the silver screen!!?? Sounds like a good way to kill off the franchise to me, at least on the big screen. (My apologies to Richard Dean Anderson fans, but you know I'm right.) I must say that the rest of the SG-1 cast is pretty good, especially Teal'c. In addition, the SG-1 universe and characters have a lot more depth and backstory now thanks to the sheer volume of material presented in the TV-series. While it would be a shame to throw this away, I still feel that a sequel to the original film with the original cast would probably be a far better film.

One compromise might be to proceed with a film version of the SG-1/Atlantis tie-in, but with Kurt Russel and James Spader back in their original roles. Unfortunately I think this would mess up the continuity too much for most people. A better idea, in my books anyways, would be to allow Stargate to proceed independently on both Film and TV. Give us a television tie-in and a big-screen sequel to the film with the original cast. That would be the best of both worlds. Of course, this assumes that original film cast is willing to do a sequel... Kurt may have to drop a few pounds too.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
MGM has indicated, and Devlin/Emmerich have groused that MGM has no interest whatsoever in proceeding with what could be termed D & E's Stargate. All future Stargate projects will involved SG-1 or it's spinoffs.

I personally wouldn't go see a Stargate film with Spader & Russell, as I feel that the original was mediocre to good. The series has improved upon it so greatly, that only that would be "true" Stargate to me.

I'm not just criticizing what you want because I disagree, but because there is concrete evidence that it's NEVER going to come to pass. The goal here is to see SG-1 go big screen instead of small screen for their post season 7 adventure(s).

I'm continuing to secure information about contact addresses and phone numbers. Gateworld has indicated they would be in support of such an effort. I've also been in touch with the save SG-1 yahoo group that has been dormant since season 6 was announced. If anyone else knows of Stargate resources that should be contacted, let me know.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
The series can't hold my attention for an hour so they're better off cutting their losses and just making a TV movie.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I would rather they bring back Russell & Spader and do a sequel to the original.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Then Russell and Spader should have done the TV show ;) (which for the record Russell is a big fan of)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
This is not a thread about Farscape movies pro or con. This is also not a thread about Devlin/Emmerich Stargate movies pro or con. This thread is about a Stargate SG-1 Feature film that may be downgraded to TV movie status. It's not a discussion about liking Kurt Russell better or being angry at Scifi for cancelling Farscape.

Please keep this in mind.

Anything else is thread crapping.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
This thread is about a Stargate SG-1 Feature film that may be downgraded to TV movie status.
Frankly I can't see an SG-1 movie bringing enough money to be worth releasing in theaters. What kind of numbers does SG-1 get on Farscape? How many people who don't watch the series would really go see it in theaters? Not many I would guess, and most of those who did would probably be pissed/confused that it was a different cast (and in many ways a different story) from the original movie.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
and most of those who did would probably be pissed/confused that it was a different cast (and in many ways a different story) from the original movie.
That's the main reason why I don't think it would work on the big screen. While Stargate does have a name in the movie community, those who are not fans of the TV series will probably be disappointed that the cast has changed, and that so many things have changed with the TV show.

As much as I'd like to see a Babylon 5 movie, or a Farscape movie, reality is that it won't work.

Jason

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Mailing Address for MGM:

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Inc.
Attn: MGM Television Entertainment
2500 Broadway St.
Santa Monica,
CA 90404-3061

Sorry it's taken me so long. I've only just found the newsgroup again, and I'm seeking their support and advisement.

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I'd rather see SG-1 continue the series, regardless of a silver screen film or not.

I thought the original movie was "o.k.", but when I caught a couple of SG-1 shows last November, it started growing on me. So much that I wanted to see more. And more. Not a week goes by that I don't watch at least 3 airings. (I'm trying to catch up on all the seasons and fill in the few blanks I've missed.)

I hope this series continues on TV, because I'd rather not wait 18 months to 3 years for new SG-1 material. I'm not against a silver screen feature by any means, but I'd really like to see the SG-1 cast remain intact and continue the series. With the exception of the Jonas Quinn character, they've all really grown on me. I find a lot of subtle (and not so - remember the time trap episode where O'Neill and Teal'C tee off into the Stargate?) humor in this show. It's a lot of fun to watch.

This is one of the real quality television shows I find on the air nowadays. I hope it doesn't get ruined.

My $.02, thanks for listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks