What's new

Any buzz around here about Def Jam Vendetta? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I know we're all feverishly working our way through LOZ:WW right now, but is there anyone here who plans on picking up Def Jam Vendetta for PS2 or GC?

Craig.Ki

Auditioning
I'm picking it up tomorrow for the GC. I will buy any and all games that feature the AKI wrestling engine. I think some people may skip it because they're turned off by the heavy rap presence, but I could care less. Hell, this game could feature the Pan Flute All-Stars, and I'd be all over it.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Hell, this game could feature the Pan Flute All-Stars, and I'd be all over it.
I want to see Zamfir do his trademark move, the Violator ;).

I'll be interested in this when it drops price a bit, but I'm certainly always keen on new releases in the EA BIG line-up. Just on my love of SSX alone.

TedT

Second Unit
Not into rap at all, but am fan of wrestling games. I'm anxiously awaiting it!

By the way Chris Rock, I loved you on Howard Stern the other day!

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
I played a demo of this game and found it to be more fun than the current WWE games. The gameplay made such a difference. I immediately knew how to play it because it has the same controls as No Mercy on the N64. I'm definitely getting this!

Frederick

Second Unit
Gamestop told me it'll be in after 7 pm tonight. Not that I'm going to get it tonight, but I'll definatly be picking up my copy for the GC tomorrow afternoon. Man, I don't know how I'm going to squeeze in playtime for this AND Zelda. Never thought I'd see the day when my GC was getting more action than my PS2 or XBox ...

Freddy C.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Picking this up next week I think. Don't know which version to get, although I'm leaning towards the PS2 version because of the controller.

Hopefully they'll be some comparative reviews out before next week.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Ign raved about it.

Presentation
Flashy and full of bling-bling, you'll want a two-way pager after playing through Story mode. 9.0
Graphics
You'll be the one shouting "Oh My Goodness" when you see the rapper models. Too bad there's the occasional torso through the rope glitch that seems to plague all Aki wrestlers. 8.8
Sound
Blazin' beats and rhymes, although why the soundtrack was limited to just 15 songs remains a mystery. 8.5
Gameplay
Wrestling games don't get any smoother or more complete in terms of in-ring capabilities and ease of control. 9.3
Lasting Appeal
Def Jam will always be something in your library to play in two or four-player. And you'll have to play the story mode at least twice to unlock all the fine chick pictures. 8.5
OVERALL SCORE (not an average)

If I wasn't suopposed to post this I apologize

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Every review I've read for this one has been quite positive.

From Gamespot's review:

Def Jam Vendetta is available on both the PlayStation 2 and the GameCube, and while the two versions are almost identical, the GameCube version does have a slightly cleaner look to it.
And that's all the comparison they do.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I heard there were no weapons or hardcore matches. I like the concept of wrestling gangsta rappers, but what good are they without ladders and the tables to stack them on?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Of course, JamesH, you know you can't be interested in this title? It's by EA...

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Well,
Just picked this up for PS2.

I hope I like it, considering EB's changed their return policy.

I'm sure it will be good - the reviews pretty much agree with each other, unlike some recent titles such as Indiana Jones.

Damien

Supporting Actor
i think the reviewers complaining about the song selection are stupid, it's still 15 free songs.

Craig.Ki

Auditioning
This game is definitely a keeper!

Pros:
1. The controls are very similar to the N64 wrestling games.
2. I've never said this about an AKI wrestling game, but this one is kinda challenging. My record is currently 12-4. I remember losing about a total of *two* matches to the computer in all of the previous AKI N64 wrestling games..combined.
3. I like the faster pace and the introduction of combos.
4. The health meters for the different body parts are a very welcome addition.

Two minor gripes:
1. No weapons?!
2. Tag team matches seem kind of pointless. In the two that I've played so far, once your opponents partner enters the ring and interferes, it becomes a free for all. But, then again, since this isn't a traditional wrestling game, I guess I shouldn't expect traditional tag team matches. :)

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Is this coming out for Xbox at all? If not, any comparisons between the GC and PS2 versions yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks