Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DD sounds BETTER than MLP/PCM on DVD-A

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 12:37 AM

That's right. I sat down last night and listened closely to selectsions from all my DVD-Audio discs and I've decided that the Dolby Digital compatability mode for multichannel sounds significantly better than the MLP/PCM track. It was a big surprise cause I always thought that PCM should be better. But my ears don't lie!!!!!

Time to sell the DVD-A player and use my SACD machine as a universal! Whoopie!
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#2 of 9 Dan Joy

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 12:48 AM

EHWWWW Nice April FOOOOls day thread!!!

If your serious,,,,, GO BACK TO BEDPosted Image
GO BLACKHAWKS !!!

#3 of 9 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 06:02 AM

What a Hamm!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#4 of 9 Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter

• 1,829 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 06:55 AM

.......... loads gun........

#5 of 9 LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 07:22 AM

Assuming you're serious Posted Image........

IMO, Dolby Digital sounds fine, but has a sort of soft high-end. It also lacks the fine details that even CD has.

While I don't have a center or sub yet, I hooked up all my Pioneer's multichannel outputs anyway to my Technics SA-DA8 receiver, so I can least hear the rear channels for "playing around" purposes. I first put on my Linkin Park dvd-audio. I always wanted to hear the stereo track in it's 44.1Khz/24bit PCM form, rather than DD.

The PCM definitely sounded better to me. Details quite a bit clearer & more "space" around the instruments, like a subtle fogginess was taken away. And on the PCM surround track, the same effect. A more "tinkly" sound was heard (sorry, not good with these kinds of adjectives!).

Same with the "Fragile" & "What's New" dvd-audios. Their DTS tracks were closer in quality to the MLP tracks (very close actually) but DTS has a slight high-frequency graininess that DD and MLP don't have; it's sounds very much like a CD in fact.

But to me, MLP has that "space", detail AND lack of graininess all in one package.

LJ

#6 of 9 Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 07:34 AM

I prefer to rip it to a 96kbps mono .mp3 and listen on the speaker built-in to my laptop.

#7 of 9 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted April 01 2003 - 07:39 AM

Finally someone else who is not afraid to say this. I wish they would do more DD tracks at 96kbps, though. It completely blows 448kbps out of the water.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#8 of 9 LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 08:02 AM

Oops, forgot the date :b

LJ

#9 of 9 KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 11:53 AM

I actually prefer to the play DTS tracks on a system without a DTS decoder. The high-pitched noise sounds great! Posted Image
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza