What's new

DD sounds BETTER than MLP/PCM on DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
That's right. I sat down last night and listened closely to selectsions from all my DVD-Audio discs and I've decided that the Dolby Digital compatability mode for multichannel sounds significantly better than the MLP/PCM track. It was a big surprise cause I always thought that PCM should be better. But my ears don't lie!!!!!

Time to sell the DVD-A player and use my SACD machine as a universal! Whoopie!

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
EHWWWW Nice April FOOOOls day thread!!!

If your serious,,,,, GO BACK TO BED:D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Assuming you're serious :)........

IMO, Dolby Digital sounds fine, but has a sort of soft high-end. It also lacks the fine details that even CD has.

While I don't have a center or sub yet, I hooked up all my Pioneer's multichannel outputs anyway to my Technics SA-DA8 receiver, so I can least hear the rear channels for "playing around" purposes. I first put on my Linkin Park dvd-audio. I always wanted to hear the stereo track in it's 44.1Khz/24bit PCM form, rather than DD.

The PCM definitely sounded better to me. Details quite a bit clearer & more "space" around the instruments, like a subtle fogginess was taken away. And on the PCM surround track, the same effect. A more "tinkly" sound was heard (sorry, not good with these kinds of adjectives!).

Same with the "Fragile" & "What's New" dvd-audios. Their DTS tracks were closer in quality to the MLP tracks (very close actually) but DTS has a slight high-frequency graininess that DD and MLP don't have; it's sounds very much like a CD in fact.

But to me, MLP has that "space", detail AND lack of graininess all in one package.

LJ

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I prefer to rip it to a 96kbps mono .mp3 and listen on the speaker built-in to my laptop.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Finally someone else who is not afraid to say this. I wish they would do more DD tracks at 96kbps, though. It completely blows 448kbps out of the water.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I actually prefer to the play DTS tracks on a system without a DTS decoder. The high-pitched noise sounds great! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks