Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

ENTERPRISE 04/02/'03: "The Crossing"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 07:07 PM

title: "The Crossing"
episode: #44
original airdate: April 2, 2003
writer: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga
story: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga, and Andre Bormanis
director: David Livingston
synopsis: "Noncorporeal aliens possess the bodies of the Enterprise crew."

At last, back to our weekly Trek addiction. Unfortunately, this does not sound very promising from the brief synopsis available---shades of Planet of the Vampires!---, and you-know-who is writing it.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 11:32 PM

Quote:
writer: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga
story: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga, and Andre Bormanis
Enjoy, suckers. I'm out. Posted Image
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 04:13 AM

I'm still waiting for them to kill off a few more "red shirts!" Posted Image

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 05:15 AM

Don't they remember "Power Play"?

Rehash.

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 07:06 AM

Actually, this sounds like a "comfortable old shoe" TOS plot device. Might be fun if done right.

Haven't watched this show in months, but since "Ed" got moved, I might tune in.

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 04:05 PM

It was okay. Pretty predictable, but it had some suspense. I've seen worse.

jeremy

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationMackenzie, BC, Canada

Posted April 01 2003 - 04:20 PM

Not bad at all. I was hoping they'd break the fast with a decent one and it didn't disappoint.

Sure, it smacks of dozens of Star Trek episodes past, and a dozen other sci-fi series. But, as I've said many times, it's inevitable.

A couple more like this and I might be able to come out of the Enterprise-lover closet Posted Image

I shouldn't jinx it..

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 05:40 PM

Enterprise gets swallowed by giant space stingray. Details at eleven. Posted Image

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 06:08 AM

I am out too.

With all the plots they are rehasing, How long until the Mirror Universe or the tribbles come back?

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 08:42 AM

Well, DS9 already has revisited the universe of "Mirror, Mirror" as well as the Tribbles to very good effect, but, what the hey? That wouldn't be enough to keep B&B from rehashing all that yet again. I think they think their audience excels in short attention spans and low IQs. It's almost offensive.

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   johnbr

johnbr

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 10:24 AM

The story of this one is KILL first.Don't ask and all noncorporeal life is no good this is not star trek. Posted Image

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 01:02 PM

Sure it was a rip off of ANOTHER TNG episode, but at least it gave Phlox and Hoshi some interesting scenes. Next week the hacks in charge are ripping off Undiscovered Country....

Right down to the Klingon bashing that metal thing in judgment..

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor

• 540 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 01:32 PM

They said that the aliens can't survive in space, which is why they need a new ship. They didn't seem to have any trouble crossing from ship to ship after Enterprise got out of the alien ship. Were they holding their breath?

jeremy

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 01:34 PM

Quote:
Next week the hacks in charge are ripping off Undiscovered Country....

Right down to the Klingon bashing that metal thing in judgment..
Is that "ripping off" or "following established continuity"? I mean, if they've already established a look and feel for the Klingon Justice System, shouldn't they be consistent? Wouldn't there be numerous complaints if they didn't?

Besides, just remind yourself that episodes setting up a conflict between Earth and Quo'nos are not episodes about the "Temporal Cold War". Posted Image
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 02:18 PM

Not very good. Too by the numbers. Also, I feel it went too far in the wrong direction. It would have been more interesting if the aliens had been innocent. I mean, this show is supposed to be about exploration, but Archer keeps wanting to shoot first.

Jason

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 02:58 PM

Quote:
It would have been more interesting if the aliens had been innocent. I mean, this show is supposed to be about exploration, but Archer keeps wanting to shoot first.

I thought there was too much of a Janeway-esque bending of the plot to fit the captain's instinct, ie, Captain thinks entities are evil, there's no reason for them to believe they're evil, ergo, they're evil.

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor

• 810 posts
  • LocationMackenzie, BC, Canada

Posted April 02 2003 - 05:32 PM

Quote:
It would have been more interesting if the aliens had been innocent

Agreed. It would have been just the right amount of spin to make up for the blatent rehash of "Power Play".

That's all were asking for, B&B!! If your going to rip something off, at least give it a bit of a spin, plot-wise. NOT effects-wise, plot-wise. Say it with me..

But all in all I thought it could have been alot worse.. Knock on wood!

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 06:22 PM

They could have created some sense of forboding by saying they were entering a part of space that appeared to be utterly lifeless. I mean how the heck will they explain that next week they encounter another ship or two or three when this week they met a ship that had been searching fruitlessly for corporeal life forms?

Also, one needs to ignore that the little swirls could have simply waited a few seconds, until everyone revived, and then gone right back in.

Who is this show aimed at...it seems like it is only trying to be about as realistic as The Muppet Show.

Still, it was a nice episode, a perfectly ordinary, nice episode. Better than weeks of repeats anyhow.

I suspect that watching this show as a box set on DVD will be much more rewarding.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 06:39 PM

Not a bad episode, but nothing to write home about, either. I'm not going to get too hung up on the similarities to "Power Play". There are only so many story permutations to play around with in commercial Hollywood productions. The trick is the "spin" one puts on the story.

I will say this: the CGI is looking better and better all the time. Most of it here looks better than some of the stuff I saw in Nemesis.

Mark Turetsky wrote (post #16):

Quote:
I thought there was too much of a Janeway-esque bending of the plot to fit the captain's instinct, ie, Captain thinks entities are evil, there's no reason for them to believe they're evil, ergo, they're evil.

Actually, if it were "Janeway-esque", Archer would be assuming, even against clear evidence, that the "wills-of-the-wisp" were not evil, I should think.

Jeff Kleist wrote (post #1):

Quote:
Watch for the part where Phlox is running around in a spacesuit, his visor is open the ENTIRE TIME and it's PAINFULLY OBVIOUS. He opens the visor at the end of the episode so it was obviously supposed to be closed!

You weren't paying attention. Phlox's helmet was open until just before he let loose the carbon dioxide gas. You can see it that it closed just then because the internal suit lighting illuminates his face.

Again with the catwalk. Where are the loos?

Jeremy Illingworth wrote (post #13):

Quote:
They said that the aliens can't survive in space, which is why they need a new ship.

I missed a minute or two right after T'Pol had been "invaded", the explanation of what the aliens wanted, etc.

Let me see. My global problem with the episode was, how do "incorporeal beings" get to run a very big, quite complex "corporeal" ship??? Are they supposed to have taken it over from corporeal beings, and, if so, where are those beings at the time of the happenings in this episode? If the latter exist no more, how is the giant ship run and why do the wills-of-the wisp need a new one? Were any of these questions answered?
"Delenda est . . . . "

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 03 2003 - 02:58 AM

Yeah I never quite understood why incoporeal beings needed a physical starship, or why that particular element (unobtanium?) prevented then from entering that catwalk.

Did anyone else notice that Jolene Blaylock's tan lines were showing in that scene with "Malcolm"? A little bit of a screwup on the director's part.

Jason

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow