What's new

RPTVs need video shielded speakers, right? (1 Viewer)

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I have some older but very nice speakers (Mirage M3) that I'm selling partially because they're not video shielded and my new HDTV (direct view CRT) seems to be much more sensitive to them than my old TV. A potential buyer says that this shouldn't affect RPTVs, but I'm not sure... haven't had any experience with them myself. Can anyone confirm that? The buyer wants to put the speakers right next to the cabinet so even a small effect would probably be noticeable.

Craig

Second Unit
RPTVs generally don't require shielded speakers. The electronics are down at the bottom of the RPTV, the main part of the RPTV is basically just a box filled with light. I have a pair of Mirage OM10s about 12-15 inches away from the sides of my Toshiba RPTV, no problem.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The only problem you will have with mag fields is if you put a center channel (non shielded) down in front of the TV ...

regards

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the comments. Sounds like it may work; luckily the buyer is local so we can probably try it out without too much hassle. The woofers on the M3 are a couple feet up from the ground so even though they're fairly big magnets maybe it'll be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks