-

Photo
- - - - -

How do you wire a pair of speakers to act as a single channel?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 02:26 PM

I have a pair of JBL N24 IIs to act as the center rear channel on my new Kenwood VR-6060. However, I obviously only have one set of binding posts on the back of the receiver for the rear center channel. How do I effectively wire both N24 IIs to be my rear center channel?

#2 of 6 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,533 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 31 2003 - 03:21 PM

You don't, you use one, to keep the nominal resistance consistent.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 6 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 03:09 AM

Nick,

To clarify what John said, it’s critical for most home theater receivers to have a proper load – typically between 6-8 ohms per channel. Running both speakers to the same channel will most likely result in a 4-ohm load, which will demand roughly double the power output from that channel. This could eventually cause that amplifier channel to fail.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#4 of 6 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,533 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted April 01 2003 - 05:51 PM

Sorry, I gave the short answer. :b

Not only could you strain this particular channel to failure, you will also reduce the total amount of power available to all of the channels since all are powered by the same power section. Now, these speakers are not extremely demanding, however, to be on the safe side, I would still not recommend them being run off a single channel.

If you have pre-amp outputs for the rear channel(I am not familiar with this receiver), you could use an external amp to run both channels without issue.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 6 Mat_M

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 06:56 PM

Well he could run them in series. This would effectively create a 16 Ohm load, which would not be demanding at all. The 4 Ohm load comes from running them in parallel.

The only problem I see with a series setup is that output SPL levels might be too low. I think it's worth a try. Compare a series setup to just one speaker and see what you like best.

Series wiring is like this:

Receiver red -> speaker 1 red
speaker 1 black -> speaker 2 red
speaker 2 black -> receiver black

#6 of 6 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 03:16 AM

Actually, series isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. If you start with say, 100 watts, the series connection will suck that down to 50 watts. When that 50 watts is divided between the two speakers, they are each getting only 25 watts each. So yes, there will probably be a considerable SPL issue. With demanding scenes, you will run out of headroom in a hurry.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews