-

Photo
- - - - -

Big Dig Open!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Steven K

Steven K

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:47 PM

Well, half of it anyway... After almost 20 years of construction, the underground northbound lanes of the I-93 Central Artery (which runs right through downtown Boston) are open to the public.

Officially called the "Liberty Tunnel," the total distance of the tunnel is a little over 2 miles in length.

My wife and I decided we needed to go to Costco yesterday, mainly just so that we would have an excuse to take the new tunnel.

Traffic, even though it was a traditionally dead Sunday, was very heavy. The tunnel entrance starts right before South Station and emerges near the Fleet Center, onto the brand new Leonard P. Zakin Bunker Hill Bridge. Only time will tell if this $15 billion project pays off.

Has anyone else driven through yet?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Silla

Michael Silla

Second Unit

• 315 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:59 PM

15 Billion?

And John McCain complained about Utah's I-15 project Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Seriously, I need to visit Boston one of these days. Here is one more reason.

Michael.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 03:49 PM

This was built during the perfect time, while I've been away. Posted Image I lasted until the start of temp expressway portions were created and have only seen the progress rather than the traffic jams during my visits back. During high school I had the "pleasure" of suffering through the resurfacing and lane expansion of the expressway. The only enjoyable part of that ride was keeping track of the MCI counter and the elimination of the original Multicolored Boston Gas Tank (now labeled "Keyspan" after they ripped off the usb/serial peripheral maker's name) and the painting of the White tank.

When are the upper levels coming down for the parks or rather the not planned for commercial space sold to pay for cost overruns? Posted Image

I've only been through the Ted Williams on several occasions and some of the newer on/off ramps in the South Bay to South Station section. Even the temporary stuff is better than what was there in the early 90s. I'm sure glad they did it when they did, because if it didn't the future travel in that region would have quickly become a nightmare in these times of budget shortfalls. That Maine/NH/VT bridge is just awful and was crumbling the last I heard.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Vickie_M

Vickie_M

Producer

• 3,208 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 10:28 PM

Won't traffic just increase due to the "convenience" and it'll end up worse than before?

In any case, it's a fascinating project, put a lot of people to work (including for those specials on the Discovery Channel that I watched) and irked Boston's crazy drivers (I've been there. I've driven there. They're crazy) so it's all to the good! Posted Image

And you got a purty bridge with a silly name out of it!
Favorite film of 2008 (so far): The Fall

Favorite films of 2007: There Will Be Blood, Across The Universe, The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, Black Snake Moan

My Happy Rhodes MySpace page

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Dan D.

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 01:48 AM

Haven't been through it yet but I'm sitting right next to the south entrance right now. Apparently much of Sunday's traffic was caused by the fact that about 50% of the people through had either a camera or a camcorder in their hands. I think I'll let people get used to it, then head over one evening later this week.