Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Reviews on new "Ran"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Jeffrey Bane

Jeffrey Bane

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:33 PM

Anyone out there seen a review of the new edition?

#2 of 6 TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:56 PM

Here, Here & our friends at DVDBeaver did a comparison with the Fox Lorber release.Posted Image

Tim

#3 of 6 Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle

Second Unit

• 278 posts
  • LocationMiddle of the Pacific

Posted April 01 2003 - 09:43 PM

Has the newer Ran DVD been re-released individually, or is it still available only as part of the (expensive!) set?

Nevermind - found the answer:

Quote:
The WellSpring MasterWorks edition in the Kurosawa Boxset ( also set for individual release in April - 03 ) is anamorphic with two well-done commentaries / option for 5.1 and original soundtracks and a much tighter image.

#4 of 6 JonBoriss

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 02:40 AM

the new ran comes out seperately April 15th I believe.

#5 of 6 ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa

Screenwriter

• 2,802 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 04:17 AM

A quick review of the commentaries:

Prince's is pretty good, he gets repetitive sometimes but at least there's not much dead air. Covers a lot of different aspects of the film. If you liked his commentary on Red Beard, you'll like this one.

Grilli's is kinda useless, lots of dead air, and the rest is mostly unenlightening personal anecdotes or occasional appreciation for what's happening on screen. This one should have been done as an interview or something.

#6 of 6 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,063 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted April 16 2003 - 02:28 AM

The first "gline" review linked above is pretty consistent with my views on the video. It is a definite improvement over its predecessor, but it is still filled with annoying artifacts that are evident to even casual viewers. It's a step in the right direction, but it has not traveled as far as it needs to go. Posted Image I did not think the 5.1 mix sounded hollow or muddy. It seemed OK to me. The mono is 2.0 mono instead of 1.0 as indicated on the packaging.

Anyway, the film is too good to not want to own its best representation on video, so despite my complaints, I don't regret my purchase.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA