Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

dvd recorder question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   rick stein

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:21 PM

Hey guys tried this question on computer thread but i got no response.Does anyone know what i need to record off of sattelite or vcr.Can i do it with dvd recorder in computer or do i need a stand alone from pioneer or panasonic.If i can use computer dvd recorder what do i need for audio video input please please please any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,272 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 12:19 AM

You would need some sort of Capture card in your cpu as well as a dvd burner drive. I think Dazzle is making some sort of Capture system... Once you capture the Sat, or cable on your HD, depending on what kind of capture card you have, you may have to re-encode your product before burning to dvd..... Get a capture card that does MPEG, so you can burn to VCD or SVCD.... Will be cheaper for you, and you can use cd's....
Steve Simon
HTF Administration
(Retired)

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   rick stein

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 08:50 AM

Thanks steven the computer came with the 64 mb nvidia geforce mx420 is that what you mean by a capture card? But it only has av out how would i get the signal into the computer?

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,272 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 09:09 AM

The most ideal way would be to have a capture card that could encode MPEG video on the fly. The cheaper cards only encode AVi, and that takes up to much space.... The Mpeg encoders are more expensive, but will require much less Re-Encoding and save you time.....
Steve Simon
HTF Administration
(Retired)

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   rick stein

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 09:57 AM

How much and where would i get this card would it be cheaper to get stand alone recorder like pioneer?

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,272 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 10:45 AM

For recording TV shows, a stand alone is a no brainer.... Easier to use, and you don't have to worry about any of your CPU hardware....

Only limitation is you can't really author menus... To me that's no big deal....
Steve Simon
HTF Administration
(Retired)

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,272 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 10:46 AM

Also Onecall.com has the Pani DRM E30 on sale!!! Posted Image Posted Image
Steve Simon
HTF Administration
(Retired)

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   joe jackson

joe jackson

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 11:46 AM

Check you local Target stores, I got the Panasonic E30 on clearance for $299. They had four at the store I was at....they are all gone now. They had been marked down to 349.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   rick stein

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 01:34 PM

I basically got the computer for the dvd recorder now it looks like i wasted my money about the only thing i can do with it that i couldn't do with my cheap ass webvd is post on this site.What do i need with a 2.53 pentium 4 and all that other crap if i can do everything with webtv