Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

multi-room feature

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Aris A

Aris A

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:14 PM

Hey, guys just a question for all the "gurus" in this forum. I'm wiring up my family room with in-wall speaker wires(CL3 rated, 12ga.)and I have an old HK325(5 ch) for my surround with a multi-room feature. I read some article saying that you need an amp to power this extra speakers? It didn't mention any need for an amp in the manual and I'm just adding a pair of outdoor speakers for this feature. Would it overwork the receiver if i don't add an amp? Appreciate the reply.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 07:31 PM

generally an extra pair is not a problem. small amps are pretty cheap and much safer than dividing up power if used occasionally dont worry
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 03:01 AM

Multi-room, multi-zone can be very confusing. A true multi-room receiver can play source A in the main room and play source B in another room at the same time. My Denon 3803 is a 7.1 receiver, so it lets you use 2 of the amps for Zone 2 while still playing 5.1 in the main room at the same time. Many cheaper receiver will either use the amps for the rear channels (meaning you do not get 5.1 in the main room), or do not have amps for zone 2 at all. In either of the last 2 cases you need a seperate amp to power zone 2. Then, don't be confused with receivers that have A/B connections for the main speakers. They are usually meant to have only one pair of speakers running at a time, and have nothing to do with source B.
The only way to safely double your money is to fold it over once and place it back in your pocket.

http://www.cube17576.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users