Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Hiroshima Mon Amour & Olmi CC's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:11 PM

DVD Planet added Hiroshima Mon Amour, Il Posto, Il Fidanzati, & Ali: Fear Eats The Soul from Criterion to their catalog today. All street on 6/24.

Hadn't heard about Hiroshima before. Here's the specs according to DVDPlanet:

New high-definition digital transfer; Audio commentary by film historian Peter Cowie; 1961 Cinepanorama interview with Alain Resnais; Archival interview footage of Emmanuelle Riva; Excerpts from Duras' annotations to the screenplay; Music and effects track; New essay by Kent Jones; New and improved English subtitle translation; Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition.

Tim

#2 of 5 Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:23 PM

Hiroshima was one of those film class movies that I knew was an important film, but which I couldn't stand actually watching. Cool that the CC got another important film to release well, though. I'm sure their version will look much better than the tattered print I saw.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#3 of 5 Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 05:50 AM

Finally, I've been waiting for Ali: Fear Eats The Soul since last year. Easily one of my "most wanted" discs.

Hiroshima is good news as well. Didn't know that was on the way.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#4 of 5 Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 08:21 AM

Alain Resnais' Night and Fog is also coming from Criterion on the same date. In an unprecedented move, the disc is only $14.95 (since the film is only 30 minutes and there are no real supplements to speak of).

#5 of 5 Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 09:33 AM

I'm real happy to see Hiroshima done by Criterion!!! It's not the easiest movie to sit through, but it is definitely unique and daring, challenging traditional film structure. I'd love for Criterion to do Last Year in Marienbad next, the previous DVD transfer was real poor.