Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

One of my favorite NES games of all time

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 11:04 AM

Does anybody remeber a game called Startropics?

It about boy named Mike Jones who was set on visiting his uncle. He discovers that is uncle has been missing and armed with a yo-yo (yes a yo-yo) he travels many different islands in a submarine. fighting creature in a Zelda type style but it was linear stages.

There was a sequel in the last days of NES, that wasnt very good but it was decent.

Startropics was made and published by nintendo, also it had the best ending for the NES system

#2 of 9 David_N

David_N

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 02:39 PM

Have you played it recently? I actually picked it up a few months ago, based on the fond memories I had renting it back in the day. The story is still cool but unfortunately in my opinion, the control hasn't aged well. I find the control is very stiff in dungeons and hopping in an direction can only be accomplished by jumping across things.

Quote:
also it had the best ending for the NES system

I will certainly agree that it had ONE of the best and longest endings to a NES game.

#3 of 9 Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 04:57 PM

I had it. I really liked it.

NES Games are just a great time in general.

#4 of 9 Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 01:49 AM

Great game, but the sequel just didn't have what the original did.

I still remember trying to figure out what the hell it was talking about with the letter in chapter 4. A bit of a problem for anyone who rented the game without the inserts though.
XBox Live Gamertag:ChrisBardon

#5 of 9 Mark Evans

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 03:09 AM

Ha, I was going to mention that Chris. I played StarTropics solely on rentals and that happened to me before.

I LOVED StarTropics when it first came out, and I'm not really sure why, because they game wasn't that great, but it was fun in its way. Somebody want to detail this fantabulous ending? I made it all the way to the ship at the end but never had time to finish it, and would be curious to know how it turned out.
Mark Evans

"I'm sure that's it. Maybe I should write a horror novel on passive resistance instead."
- Gabriel Knight

#6 of 9 BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 03:23 AM

Quote:
NES Games are just a great time in general.

Let's not over-exaggerate/sentementalise... Like most "retro" platforms, when it was good, it was very very good, but when it was bad? It was oh so bad in a way few modern games can manage.

There were over 800 NES games released in the US... I'm pretty sure you're only playing the best of them and wouldn't be having anywhere near as much fun playing some of the depths of the back catalogue.

I've got a NES & a bunch of carts that I've acquired in the past year, and have had a lot of fun with them. But I'm not about to call everything about the NES great because of it. Heck, I love "my" growing up platforms - the Speccy & the C64, but I'll be the first to admit there was a hell of a lot of dross in amongst the classics.

Of course, I may be just reading too much into your comment Posted Image
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#7 of 9 Mark Evans

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 06:10 AM

Quote:
It was oh so bad in a way few modern games can manage.

Disagree. At least the NES wouldn't even run BMX XXX Posted Image.
Mark Evans

"I'm sure that's it. Maybe I should write a horror novel on passive resistance instead."
- Gabriel Knight

#8 of 9 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 06:39 AM

Quote:
Like most "retro" platforms, when it was good, it was very very good, but when it was bad? It was oh so bad in a way few modern games can manage.
Actually, I think it works the other way around. It's a cliché that since the technical capabilities of a NES/2600/Odyssey/ENIAC are less powerful, designers had to focus on gameplay, but the converse is that new platforms can do anything the older ones can do... including screw up. Sure, it takes more effort to stick put more functions on an Xbox controller than it can be expected to handle than it does with a NES one, for example, but it can be done.

Quote:
Heck, I love "my" growing up platforms - the Speccy & the C64, but I'll be the first to admit there was a hell of a lot of dross in amongst the classics.
Well, then you're doing OK - usually the classics are among the dross. Posted Image

(Says the guy who just bought a copy of "Ninja Golf" off ebay even though I knows it's not considered an especially good game)

Quote:
At least the NES wouldn't even run BMX XXX Posted Image.
I'll be there was something similar, though. I mean, heck, if this company tried to appeal to that market back when you really had to count processor cycles...
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#9 of 9 Mark Evans

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 07:57 AM

Actually Jason, you're quite correct, there were equally hideous adult NES games. I just choose not to mention them Posted Image. BMX XXX is one of the first so-called adult (adult meaning aimed at teenage boys :P)) titles that came from a huge publisher though.

Besides, everybody else has tried to capitalize on that notoriety, why can't I? Posted Image
Mark Evans

- Gabriel Knight

Back to Video Gaming

Forum Nav Content I Follow