What's new

PLEASE help!! (Picture on film-based material is too sharp.) (1 Viewer)

Robert@pcrx

Auditioning
I am in a bind here. I recently purchased a Denon DVD-1600. Yes it is a very good player, but I cannot handle the “sharpness” it has on film based movies. Things like Monsters Inc look awesome, but otherwise smoke looks like a grey pixel swarm, mist on LOTR looks like a crawlie pixel cloud, and skin tones “crawl” and move all over the place. This happens on all my disks, reference or not. I have checked other Denon 1600’s on my setup, and have the same results. Also I decided I need to have a player that has a scaling feature for my 4:3 stuff….I will be selling this Denon player asap……..

To get….? Now is where I need help! The more I read, the more I get confused. I am an avid poster at the avs forum, and have lurked here for a while. The DVD forum there is less helpful than this one seems to be.

I am considering the JVCXV-SA600BK, OR the 7 disk changer version of it (FA900BK)

I would like any comments on these players as they compare to others for PQ (what it looks like, no stat quotes) also how the PQ is versus the Denon.

My other “maybe” is the Panny RP-91, though I may opt for a less expensive player now and wait for the whole SACD and DVDA think to settle down some.

More than anything I just want to watch good clear movies and have some features for tweaking the picture, or zooming with little PQ loss on occasion.

I will be hooking to a 42” Panny Plasma SDTV via component cables.

Thanks!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I think you're doing the player an injustice. Tell us how you have the Panasonic plasma panel set up. How high, for example, is the so-called "sharpness" control set? And are you able to disable its scan-velocity modulation?

The Denon is a good player. I bet your problem is centered around the picture-level settings on the Panasonic.

Robert@pcrx

Auditioning
On "Auto" mode, I have the sharpness turned down to -10. Any less than that and the "swimming pixels" I see are all over the place.

On Minority Report Tom Cruise looks like his 5 oclock shadow is high on speed and crawling on his cheeks. This effect is the same on most film and video based DVD's I have. Plus it cannot scale, so when I watch special features on my disks, everything is squished...

The zoom mode on my panny is like "super zoom" so using that is not an option.

I have brigntness turned down, etc.

I figured I am seeing compression artifacts from the disk mastering, but didn't notice all this stuff on my old lowly Toshiba SD3750 (dying)

If that is the case a less "perfect" player may better fit the "ignorance is bliss" saying better.

Also in the end, it seems like on film stuff, the Denon looks "digital" to me......rather than a smooth filmlike image....

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Is there a film mode on the RP91 that forces it to stay in 3:2 pulldown when the flags a wrong?

_Man_

greg_t

Screenwriter
I have no idea. According to the Secrets article on progressive scan, most good deinterlacers have a film mode, so I assume that the 91 does as it is still one of the best progressive scan dvd players out there. But again I am just assuming. Maybe someone more knowledgable can inform us for certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks