Jump to content

- - - - -

Receiver w/ dual component out?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Mike Gadzinski

Mike Gadzinski


  • 3 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 03 2003

Posted March 31 2003 - 09:10 AM

OK, I'm looking to upgrade my receiver and would like to spend no more than $1000. I am looking for (if it exists) a receiver that has 2 sets of component out. I would like to have one set hooked up to my TV and one set run to my projector. And it should have a minimum of 3 components in for xBox, DVD, HDTV. If such a thing doesn't exist, is it possible to use a "Y-cable" to split the components? IOW can I put three "Y-cables" in the component out of the receiver then hook up both sets of component cables? Would this degrade the signal? The run to the TV is about 4' and about 35' to the projector. I will never watch both at the same time, but would prefer to not have to switch anything (either cables or A/B type switch) Ok, since I haven't been able to find such a receiver(unless you can help me out), I was considering the Denon 3803. Does it do "down-conversion" as well as "up-conversion"? Could I have my DVD, xBox and HDTV STB, into the component in of the receiver and use s-video to my TV (component to my projector) will it display these on the TV? I understand that I won't get true HD signal to the TV, but I'm OK with that right now as my TV isn't HDTV compatible anyways...(yet) Any ideas, sugestions?


#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh


  • 5,183 posts
  • Join Date: May 22 1999

Posted March 31 2003 - 07:01 PM

Hi Mike.

The first receiver that offers 3 component video inputs runs about $2300 the last time I looked (before Christmass). This is why I created the Inexpensive HD Video Switching thread.

No, you cannot use a "Y" adaptor on component video cables. This would mess up the 75 ohm impedence that the signals need to not reflect.

And no, most receivers will not convert one video type to another. The rule is: SVideo in can only be seen on SVideo out. Composite in->Composite out. Component in->Component out.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Kevin_Kr


    Supporting Actor

  • 908 posts
  • Join Date: May 09 2001

Posted April 01 2003 - 02:01 AM

Denon avr 3803 would work I believe, you would need to get a component switcher and just push both buttons in. I have been resourceful and easily been able to find the 3803 for around $800.00 from authorized retailers.Whoops scratch that it only has 2 component inputs but with a couple of cheap switchers you could make it work.