Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Who or Where do we report bootlegs too?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 05:38 AM

Seems that Ebay is selling Bootleg copies of the movie House of 1000 Corpses before it even hits the theater. That really isn't fair don't you think.

#2 of 7 Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 05:56 AM

There is no such thing as "fairness." Once you acknowledge that, life is much, much easier.

Charlie

#3 of 7 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,503 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 31 2003 - 06:13 AM

I would alert the studio. Email them the link using the "comments" page on their website (if they have one, Lion's Gate, correct?).

Reporting it directly to Ebay will have no effect.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#4 of 7 Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 06:13 AM

if you read the descriptions closely, they are VCD's. buyer beware.

#5 of 7 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,381 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 06:14 AM

Uh, yeah. Right.

Joshua: it IS a good thing to report the bootlegs, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Posted Image

The good thing about eBay is that they at least TRY in most cases to do the right thing. If a seller uses their site as a platform to sell bootlegs, then they will remove that auction if you report it to them. Malcolm's right in that it may not have an effect, since they often have so many reports that it's hard to keep up with. Reporting it tothe studio may help, too...but at least give eBay's reporting a try. It's worked for me several times.

I don't have the ability to provide you with a direct link right now, but eBay has various places that encourage you to report various forms of piracy and other illegal auctions using their "safe harbor" system. Consult their help system for more info.

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#6 of 7 Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 06:47 AM

The Motion Picture Association of America is the industry watchdog for bootlegs and piracy. A relevant excerpt from its web site:

Quote:
The MPAA maintains a toll-free anti-piracy Hotline number (1-800-NO-COPYS) in the U.S. for retailers and consumers to call if they suspect piracy. In addition, complaints can be directed to the MPAA email hotline at hotline@mpaa.org.

Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#7 of 7 Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for all the replies folks. I tried to let E-Bay know, but I couldn't get anywhere that is why I posted here in the first place I figure you guys would know something.