Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Demo'ed NSP1II package at a NEW Best Buy

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Richard Moya

Richard Moya

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 02:24 AM

I went to a brand new Best Buy last night and demo'ed this system. Point being, that since the store is new, not too many people have gone in there and screwed the connections totally up. It was hooked into their best Yamaha amp. I love the setup but I was concerned over the "chuffing" of the fronts during music playing. When I drove them pretty good, it really did kinda seem to get hung up on the bass. Classical music was flawless, basically this was when I was playing some rap with heavy bass. I assume this was because the receiver might not have been setup properly showing front speakers as "small" therefore sending too much bass to the mains. I was hoping to get some feedback from people with this system at home and our resident expert Phil. Thanks

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   ColinM

ColinM

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 03:48 AM

New or not, the folks setting them up are different as people can be. If I worked there, the tone controls would be flat, no DSP added, etc. to keep the signal pure to allow good comparison, also taking into account the nature of the speakers. So if looking at floorstanders and Sub / Sat's, I'd let the customer see the changes made to the setup as I changed the small / large / sub settings, etc. Chances are the Yam had the bass and treb up too much, and the mains were firing large. Too much for a 4" woofer. But I'll bet they sing when done properly.
You call that a knife?

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 05:27 AM

[quote] [quote]
I once monitored a dynamic 108 dB+ SPL Fast Peaks (RS Meter Dial = 110 / Weight = C / Speed = FAST) clearly (no compression or distortion - aprox. JUN 2000) during the beginning terrorist depot scenes in "Tomorrow Never Dies" - SE. My RS Meter was @ my 'sweet spot' - about 9' from my Center, 12' from my AudioSource SW15 sub located in the front right corner of my 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling HT/ family room! My brother was there, his eyes popping out, a big smile on his face, and since my wife was out shopping, ... we watched the entire movie @ that SPL level**, which was approx. -7 dB** below REF Level. The JBL NSP1 (original Mark 1) & SW15 sub provided 'better than Cinema Theater" SPL sounds clearly with better LFE impact and crystal clear highs. My brother finally bought a set last year and for a sub, he bought the SVS 25-31PCi.

**My usual once or twice Friday NITE DVD (w/family & friends over) SPL = 106 dB Fast SPL Peaks, or approx. -10 dB below REF Level, ... basically loud enough to hear the dialog tracks when the quieter moments of the movie comes on and when the encoded LFE calls for it, move the air, floor, couch and walls!!! Posted Image

Phil
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:19 PM

Richard, I just picked up the NSP1 II, and I know the "chuffing" you speak of. On my Kenwood VR-6060, setting the speakers to "small", and turning on the "Music" EQ seems to help music quality quite a bit. I basically think I will have the problem completely licked once I get a good sub. I also plan on moving my front N24 IIs to the rear center channel and getting N26s for my main speakers, as J&R has them really cheap right now.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Rick Sullivan

Rick Sullivan

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 03:18 PM

>>I also plan on moving my front N24 IIs to the rear center channel and getting N26s for my main speakers<< I have the N28IIs for mains and highly recommend them. I wasn't really in the market, but read a thread about OneCall and next thing I knew they were on their way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users