What's new

Six Feet Under - 3/30/03 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I really have no idea what to make of this episode and how it fits into this season. There's this "sleepwalking" angle to overall tone of the show nowadays.

Nate is about to crack under the pressure of being a family man. Lisa is so totally not what Nate needs in his life. Had to love how they integrated the funeral of the "young" father who died in an auto accident over 25 years ago, leaving a huge hole of uncertainty in the lives of his young bride and son for all these years, with how Nate feels about his life now.

Keith is about to crack under the stress of his employment situation and his relationship with David.

David's impulsive past comes back to nibble on his backside just a little bit (with, of all people, the guy who also plays one of those Time Travelling dudes on Enterprise).

Rico's trying to make some management changes by bringing in an intern who turns out to be slightly creepy or sheltered.

Claire is now her art prof's personal gopher/driver/etc, and she painted Russell with the dreaded "Just Friends" label.

Ruth's fondness for Bettina shows up as Bettina leaves to go help out her daughter. Ruth's strange meal schedule with the new intern is just bizarre thinking. Marking time is now Ruth's new pasttime as she waits until she can enter her own kitchen for meals based on the schedule. There are cracks in this plan as she warms up to him.

Brenda's reappearance was so subdued and empty. It was like she was on prozac or something to mellow her out.

If this season is truly "real" I am not sure how I'll feel about these character developments because they are just really really bizarre.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I agree this season only makes sense if Nate is in Surgery or has dies, becasue then these empty characterization,almost Zombielike, of previously very vivid characters is disturbing. It's like a new production team took over and decided to remake the series. People complained because they thought the Sopranos was bland last season, well it had alot more life then what the SFU team is cooking. The new Apprentice is adding some interest, but yet he is the Stereotypical mortician type. I alos don't know what to make of this season other than it's been pretty dissapointing.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I kind of lost hope of this being some kind of dream/death type thing last night when brenda finally showed up. one thing i was thinking though is that nate is the only character so far this season who has "seen" dead people. i'm just basing this on what i can remember. is this true? and if so is it significant? I missed most of season 2 so i don't know if it held true then as well.

i don't really know what to say about this season. i think it's doing a really good job in portraying nate's struggles with his current situation, but i'm not sure that really makes it a great tv show. and none of the other plot lines (other than the new live in apprentice) are really all that interesting to me.

John_VI

Second Unit
nate is the only character so far this season who has "seen" dead people. i'm just basing this on what i can remember. is this true?
Nope. Rico saw both the shooter and the victim (of the telemarketer shooting spree) in the season opener (or was it the second episode?).

My wife read in Entertainment Weekly that Ruth and the new apprentice become friends. But how would that play into the whole budding lesbian affair between Ruth and Bettina?

I was very disappointed in how Brenda returned. I was hoping for some sparks (not sex, but some emotion at least!).

Lisa is scared to death that Nate will leave her for Brenda. I think she knows that it's only a matter of time before Nate flys the coop, and as she tries to tighten her grip on him, he will resist until he finally explodes.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
This was by far the best episode of the season, but it has left me with a lot of questions.

Is the new intern just odd or is he a serial killer waiting to happen?

What's with Claire's teacher? Is he trying to mack on her or is he just weird?

What's with Claire's friend? Is he going to snap now that Claire has told him she just wants to be friends?

Is Lilly Taylor's character having a bad case post-pardom depression? She seems on the verge of whacking out.

What's Brenda's real reason for looking up Nate? With her track record I'm not sure I am buying her 12 step apology.

What is the real relationship with Nate's Mom and Cathy Bates? Could she be going over to the dark and moist side?

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
Did Rico see the dead people when he was working on them? I took it as two different conversations going on. The dead people were talking to each other and Rico was talking out loud as we all do to inanimate objects.

I do agree that someone has sucked the life out of all of these characters this season and I hope this changes for the better soon.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Interesting episode...and the seeds become more embedded...

Still, I understand the complaints. I think these first 5 episodes could have easily been accomplished in 3 episodes! And, they would have all been stronger episodes for it. There seems to be a lot of careful setup going on, and not enough action. Certainly not enough kooky humor.

Next week looks like it could be REALLY good. I sure hope so...

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
my take on things is that Ruth is going to end up in the sheets with Bettina.

Ruth created the odd meal schedule assuming it would drive the intern nuts and she wouldn't have to share the house. This however backfired as he loved it. They will get closer together and feed of each others anal behaviour.

Nate and Lisa are doomed.

David and Keith are doomed but I think it will be David who screws it up.

I have no idea what is going on with claire though.

Just my thoughts :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
rico has spoken with dead people directly. remember the guy who went postal and killed all the people in the office? he yelled at him about snapping...or something similar.

i also dig the intern. he was mildly stereotyped, but he definitely had his own touch. i like rico's comment about how he'd "fit in better" there. let's see where he goes. also, is it me or does he kind of look like ozzie osbourne's kid?

brenda's appearance was pretty anti-climatic. i was hoping for some wham-bang revelation, but oh well.

the scene where nate decides not to buy the cd's was great. i could totally sympathize...especially now that i bought a house.

anyone catch the look at bettina's face when ruth first hugged her on the stairs? wasn't sure if it was surprise or something else.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Lisa just sucks all the life out of Nate with her nitpicking of everything that he does. I think she knows this too - but I don't think she knows how to stop. That Nate can sympathize strongly with a guy who literally drove himself into oblivion is certainly a bad sign. I thought the new intern was a hoot and immediately struck me as Ruth-esque.

Brenda was very subdued but I doubt it will last.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the first thing we said when the intern came in was he looks like jack osborne grown up.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Alright episode I guess. Not too bad, not too good.

That new intern is quite the character. He's even weirder than the Fischer's. Somebody said it earlier, "He's a stereotypical mortician".

I get the feeling that Claire's art friend (Russell?), is going to commit a hate crime on the art teacher.

Rico pisses me off.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I thought the intern was Jack Osbourne too. It seems like it would have been the perfect role for him.

So why did Lisa freak out when she saw the bill from the restaurant that Nate and Brenda went to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks