Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best video cable for PS2 / HDTV combo

PlayStation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Bill Blank

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 11:57 PM

Anyone out there feel the MonsterCable component cables are the best available? I picked up a pair off of Ebay but they didn't work so I had to return them. It seems Monster's aren't built too well as there are always tons up on Ebay.

Right now I'm using Pelican's S-video with an Acoustic Research optical cable. I'm just wondering if I should save the money and get the Sony Component cables.

FYI, I've got a Mitsubishi WS-55411 that the cables will be plugged directly into.

Thanks,
Bill

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 02:56 AM

the sony component cable was the cheapest one i could find and it works great for me, i have no complaints at all.
Cheers

John

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 09:42 AM

Bill:

My guess is that the Monster cables don't make a big enough difference over the Sony component cables to be worth the retail price difference. If you can pick them up on eBay for $40 or less, it might be worth considering.

Switch out your S-Video for a component cable (either Sony or Monster) and you'll be set.

Don't forget to pop in some games with surround sound (GTA: Vice City, NHL 2003, SSX Tricky) so you can get your money's worth out of your optical cable! Posted Image
My Collection
Webmaster, The iPod Store (currently under construction) & The iPod mini Store
My Home Theater Page

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 01:49 AM

You're not getting a huge audible advantage on the PS2 with an optical cable vs the analog white and red cables, except for games with 5.1 audio during full motion video sequnces.

Actual in-game audio is decoded into Dolby surround 2.0 sound through both the optical and analog audio outputs on PS2.
I do not have anything clever nor’ interesting to place in my signature box…so I’ll leave it blank.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 01:55 AM

There are some games on the PS2 that have dts interactive sound in-game, but this is not the same as the discrete 5.1 dts you hear on DVD movies. It's a non-discrete 4.0 format engineered for games on the PlayStation 2.
I do not have anything clever nor’ interesting to place in my signature box…so I’ll leave it blank.