Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best video cable for PS2 / HDTV combo

PlayStation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Bill Blank

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 11:57 PM

Anyone out there feel the MonsterCable component cables are the best available? I picked up a pair off of Ebay but they didn't work so I had to return them. It seems Monster's aren't built too well as there are always tons up on Ebay.

Right now I'm using Pelican's S-video with an Acoustic Research optical cable. I'm just wondering if I should save the money and get the Sony Component cables.

FYI, I've got a Mitsubishi WS-55411 that the cables will be plugged directly into.

Thanks,
Bill

#2 of 5 John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 02:56 AM

the sony component cable was the cheapest one i could find and it works great for me, i have no complaints at all.
Cheers

John

#3 of 5 Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor

• 563 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 09:42 AM

Bill:

My guess is that the Monster cables don't make a big enough difference over the Sony component cables to be worth the retail price difference. If you can pick them up on eBay for $40 or less, it might be worth considering.

Switch out your S-Video for a component cable (either Sony or Monster) and you'll be set.

Don't forget to pop in some games with surround sound (GTA: Vice City, NHL 2003, SSX Tricky) so you can get your money's worth out of your optical cable! Posted Image
My Collection
Webmaster, The iPod Store (currently under construction) & The iPod mini Store
My Home Theater Page

#4 of 5 Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 01:49 AM

You're not getting a huge audible advantage on the PS2 with an optical cable vs the analog white and red cables, except for games with 5.1 audio during full motion video sequnces.

Actual in-game audio is decoded into Dolby surround 2.0 sound through both the optical and analog audio outputs on PS2.
I do not have anything clever nor’ interesting to place in my signature box…so I’ll leave it blank.

#5 of 5 Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 01:55 AM

There are some games on the PS2 that have dts interactive sound in-game, but this is not the same as the discrete 5.1 dts you hear on DVD movies. It's a non-discrete 4.0 format engineered for games on the PlayStation 2.
I do not have anything clever nor’ interesting to place in my signature box…so I’ll leave it blank.