What's new

Dolby Pro Logic and TV (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
While viewing TV with the Home Theater system turned on (Dolby Pro Logic), should you have the TV's "stereo enhancement" feature on? Example: with JVC TV's it's called "Hyper Surround". Although it sounds good, i.e. it really separates the channels including the rear surronds more, would the TV's surround timing interfere with the Dolby Pro Logic's timing?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
There should be an option on the TV to send a line level signal out through the L/R analog outputs. The TV volume should have no effect on the receiver and the receiver volume will be the only one used. That's what should be used, and the TV volume should be all the way down. Using any TV surround modes in this configuration should be irrelevant. If the surround modes from the TV effect the operation of the receiver they shouldn't be used. (same with TV bass, treble, etc.)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Philip. I'm aware of the "audio out" signal in the TV menu and how it works. I use the TV's volume control because my Yamaha receiver is in a unit that closes with a wood door and the remote control signal does not go through the wood door. As a matter of convenience I use the TV's volume control. I just wanted to know if people thought the two surround signals (TV and Receiver) would somehow interfere with each other.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Walt, you have to decide if, when watching TV, you want to hear the sound through the set's little speakers or if you want the sound routed through your A/V system. One or the other. And to operate the receiver, you have to leave that wooden door open so the remote can interact with the receiver. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My old Sony 32-inch TV had a simulated surround sound setting that not only affected the sound from the TV's internal speakers, but also the signal being set via the audio-out jacks on the TV to my receiver. Having this processing enabled on the TV and then also performing Dolby Surround processing on the signal via the receiver caused all sorts of strange audio problems. It did take some time for me to figure out what was happening -- once I disabled the TV's surround sound mode, the surround sound via the receiver was fine. Evidently, the signal was getting processed twice (once within the TV, and then a 2nd time by the receiver). Note that the TV's internal speakers were shut off at all times in my case.

In short, if you plan on using your receiver to handle TV audio, make sure that all sound processing in the TV itself is disabled. It may have no affect, depending on the model of TV, but it can cause problems.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Wait, is that what's being asked? If enabling the TV's faux "surround" affects the signal going through the set's audio outputs and into the receiver? Hmm. Never tried that before, and never would.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

That's exactly what I was trying to say, "double processing" (once by the TV and again by the receiver). In the case of my relatively new 36" JVC TV, the "Hyper Surrond" on the TV does not sound too bad when processed AGAIN through my Yamaha RX-V800 receiver. I do notice some sound mix-up this way, but it not unbearable, IMO. One thing it does that I like is it brings out the rear surrounds more than normal. I only do this on occasion.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Wait, is that what's being asked? If enabling the TV's faux "surround" affects the signal going through the set's audio outputs and into the receiver? Hmm. Never tried that before, and never would.
I would not have thought to try it, either, Jack. However, the surround processing was set on by default in my old Sony TV. I couldn't figure out why Dolby Surround mode sounded so bad with my cable TV until I was playing around in the setup menus one day and discovered this setting. Disabling it made a huge difference (for the better). Before making the change, I usually left the receiver in stereo mode when watching TV, since the surround mode sounded so bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks