Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dolby Pro Logic and TV

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Walt H

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 11:31 PM

While viewing TV with the Home Theater system turned on (Dolby Pro Logic), should you have the TV's "stereo enhancement" feature on? Example: with JVC TV's it's called "Hyper Surround". Although it sounds good, i.e. it really separates the channels including the rear surronds more, would the TV's surround timing interfere with the Dolby Pro Logic's timing?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 12:35 AM

There should be an option on the TV to send a line level signal out through the L/R analog outputs. The TV volume should have no effect on the receiver and the receiver volume will be the only one used. That's what should be used, and the TV volume should be all the way down. Using any TV surround modes in this configuration should be irrelevant. If the surround modes from the TV effect the operation of the receiver they shouldn't be used. (same with TV bass, treble, etc.)
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Walt H

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 01:21 AM

Thanks Philip. I'm aware of the "audio out" signal in the TV menu and how it works. I use the TV's volume control because my Yamaha receiver is in a unit that closes with a wood door and the remote control signal does not go through the wood door. As a matter of convenience I use the TV's volume control. I just wanted to know if people thought the two surround signals (TV and Receiver) would somehow interfere with each other.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 03:56 AM

They will cause all kinds of wacked out behavior.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 05:37 AM

Walt, you have to decide if, when watching TV, you want to hear the sound through the set's little speakers or if you want the sound routed through your A/V system. One or the other. And to operate the receiver, you have to leave that wooden door open so the remote can interact with the receiver. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,914 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 31 2003 - 07:15 AM

My old Sony 32-inch TV had a simulated surround sound setting that not only affected the sound from the TV's internal speakers, but also the signal being set via the audio-out jacks on the TV to my receiver. Having this processing enabled on the TV and then also performing Dolby Surround processing on the signal via the receiver caused all sorts of strange audio problems. It did take some time for me to figure out what was happening -- once I disabled the TV's surround sound mode, the surround sound via the receiver was fine. Evidently, the signal was getting processed twice (once within the TV, and then a 2nd time by the receiver). Note that the TV's internal speakers were shut off at all times in my case. In short, if you plan on using your receiver to handle TV audio, make sure that all sound processing in the TV itself is disabled. It may have no affect, depending on the model of TV, but it can cause problems.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 08:07 AM

Wait, is that what's being asked? If enabling the TV's faux "surround" affects the signal going through the set's audio outputs and into the receiver? Hmm. Never tried that before, and never would.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Walt H

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 09:01 AM

Scott, That's exactly what I was trying to say, "double processing" (once by the TV and again by the receiver). In the case of my relatively new 36" JVC TV, the "Hyper Surrond" on the TV does not sound too bad when processed AGAIN through my Yamaha RX-V800 receiver. I do notice some sound mix-up this way, but it not unbearable, IMO. One thing it does that I like is it brings out the rear surrounds more than normal. I only do this on occasion.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,914 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 01 2003 - 12:57 AM

[quote] Wait, is that what's being asked? If enabling the TV's faux "surround" affects the signal going through the set's audio outputs and into the receiver? Hmm. Never tried that before, and never would. [quote]
I would not have thought to try it, either, Jack. However, the surround processing was set on by default in my old Sony TV. I couldn't figure out why Dolby Surround mode sounded so bad with my cable TV until I was playing around in the setup menus one day and discovered this setting. Disabling it made a huge difference (for the better). Before making the change, I usually left the receiver in stereo mode when watching TV, since the surround mode sounded so bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users