Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

FUTURAMA 03/30/03: "Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 01:10 PM

Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles:

Quote:
When Fry and the Planet Express gang realize that at 161 years old, the Professor has become too crotchety to handle, they decide he needs to be "youth-a-sized". Traveling to an asteroid, they register the Professor at a posh resort where their full-body bath in searing hot tar is guaranteed to turn back the clock. Through a series of unfortunate accidents, the bath covers not only the Professor but also everyone else and all are affected by the treatment. Back at Planet Express, a now 53-year-old Professor tries to keep a now 13-year-old Fry and other kids under control while looking for a way to reverse the effects of the tar treatment. Meanwhile, "the kids" all react to their newfound youth, including Leela, who decides she could have a taste of the childhood she never had as an orphan.

The high points:

(a) The "old-man-driving" stereotype was good. Unlimited "warp" capability, but Farnesworth is holding up space traffic with his (right?) signal light on.

(b) "Age-defying" botox treatment for the skin with ingredients extracted right out of a warm can of mushrooms.

(c) Bender's devolution to CD-ROM.

(d) The sewage waste flush that propels Leela & Fry to victory in their swamp boat "drag race".

(e) great visuals: The purple whirlpool of the fabled "Fountain of Aging" on a "burnt-out star". I continue to believe that Futurama has the most vivid colors and apt background scenery in all tv cartoondom. The characters all look appropriately goofy, while the gadgets and the heavenly phenomena all look astoundingly impressive.

(f) The Star Trek references:

"Charlotte's Tholian Web" (child's tale).

The "tricorders" at the Bubbling Geezers spa with the sound effect right out of TOS.

"With my last breath I curse Zoidberg."

I think there was one or two more that went right past me.

With regard to the gargoyle Pazuzu (the name of the Babylonian demon from the Exorcist films, by the way), I missed what it said at the end to the little gargoyle, as well as the French ("bon oui(e)"???). I assume this was in response to Prof. Farnesworth's saying he would do anything to repay P. for fetching him out of the whirlpool. Anybody know???
"Delenda est . . . . "

#2 of 13 Kristian

Kristian

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 01:17 PM

You missed the Star Trek reference that made me LOL the most:

The ship's headlights incinerating Deep Space Nine. Posted Image

Great episode. Posted Image
Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009
CollectionsMusic

#3 of 13 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,053 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 30 2003 - 01:53 PM

Ever since I missed that episode a few weeks back, I've been looking out for the new ones. After a weekend of season 1 & 2 episodes with the Volume One set, it's a bit jarring to come to a modern day episode. And it really showed how much my cable reception sucks compared to DVD.

Best line of the episode (paraphrasing): "This spaceship can go 99% the speed of light... and you're going 35 miles an hour!"

#4 of 13 Greg Morse

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 01:56 PM

I rewound it on the Tivo when it was on and used CC to see what the gargoyle said. (Sorry, deleted it already so I can't give it verbatim). He said something to the effect of "That is the story of how I gained my freedom".

#5 of 13 Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 03:21 PM

Damn Fox in Indiana didn't show the episode at all. Instead we got a stupid weather special that I betting is pointless. If anyone has it avaible for download, that would be nice. Posted Image
I need a new signature.

#6 of 13 Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 04:28 PM

The children's book also had a picture of a Gorn eating a kid.

Great episode. I am going to miss this series.

#7 of 13 Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 06:23 PM

The first new Futurama in weeks and I forget to set a tape.
Damn you Fox Posted Image
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#8 of 13 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 07:55 PM

Pazuzu said to his child (and then to the audience), 'Bon Nuit', which is 'Good Night'. The pronunciation seemed a little off to me.

This was a great ep. I must admit I haven't really liked Futurama all that much since Fry & Co. traveled to the planet of the Amazons and tangled with Femputer (Bea Arthur rocked in that ep). It's probably my favorite ep with Nixon's head for President running a close second.

Few episodes since Femputer have really amused me, but Dr. Zoidberg's devolution through his larval stages was the one thing in this ep that really made me laugh. (I just loved the moment when Leela picked his sea anemone form up and stuck him to the bulletin board so he could get a better look at the space tales book).

I've missed several eps in the last year, could someone please explain how Leela found her roots (and they turned out to be sewer mutants)?
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#9 of 13 DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 06:18 AM

Heh, either wait for the Box Sets or for CN to get to the new episodes in a month or so and you'll be set Posted Image.

#10 of 13 Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas

Screenwriter

• 2,044 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 06:38 AM

David, Bender was dumping toxic waste created by one of the Professor's machines in the sewers. The mutants got mad and opened up a hole trapping the characters in the sewer. They put them on trial but Leela's parents appeared and helped them get set free. It turned out that when she was born her parents felt she would get a better life on the surface, so they left her at the orphanarium with a note making it seem she was an alien. Apparently aliens are treated better than mutants. They had been watching her all along, but they never came forth to tell her the truth until she needed their help.

#11 of 13 WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,213 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 03:21 PM

I liked this one more than other (relatively speaking of course) Recent episodes. For some reason I was cracking up with the professor yelling for his gargoyle Pazuzu. However, I think they have been overdoing Leela's relationship with her parents. But I guess it does not matter much now
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#12 of 13 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for filling me in on the whole Bender dumping toxic waste plot, Keith.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#13 of 13 Kari-Anne T

Kari-Anne T

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 23 2012 - 03:46 PM

I believe the gargoyle said "Bonne noit" or good night.