What's new

Was some actor/talk show host attacked/murdered at Spago's? (1 Viewer)

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
I believe I've heard two or three references to some sort of incident at Spago's where something bad happened to a celebrity. Did a search on Google but came up with nothing.

Any one know what happened? (Assuming something actually did happen.)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I don't know if this is what you're talking about but after reading your post, I checked the entertainment section of cnn.com and found this story:
WEST HOLLYWOOD, California (AP) -- Vince Vaughn got a bloody nose for his 33rd birthday outside a hotel lounge where he was celebrating.

Vaughn's assailant fled after the incident early Friday, said Sgt. Robert Lewis of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

A witness told authorities someone approached Vaughn, who has costarred in "The Cell," "Swingers" and "Return to Paradise," outside The Standard hotel. The suspect spoke first, and Vaughn responded. Police did not say what was said.

"The suspect took offense to him and hit him," Lewis said.

Vaughn's nose was bloodied, said his publicist, Ina Teciokas.

"Vince never threw a punch, Teciokas said. "He was just standing outside and got punched."

While filming "Domestic Disturbance" in Wilmington, North Carolina, in 2001, Vaughn and screenwriter Scott Rosenberg were arrested after a barroom brawl in which the film's co-star, Steve Buscemi, was stabbed several times.

Vaughn and Rosenberg were fined $250, ordered to pay court costs, undergo alcohol counseling and stay away from local bars. Buscemi was not charged.

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
No, this was something that happened some time ago. Probably the 70s or 80s. Mid 90s at the latest. Spago's was definitely involved.

(Again, I'm not even sure if anything ever happened.)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
No, Ron worked at Mezzaluna in Brentwood, and that's where Nicole ate. (He was returning a pair of glasses she had left there.) The original Spago - not Spago's - is in West Hollywood, IIRC. There is another in Beverly Hills. (They're practically a chain now, there's even one in Vegas.)

I can't think of ever hearing about any kind of major crime, much less murder, happening inside or outside Spago's, with or without a celebrity being involved, so I have a feeling that your memory is playing tricks on you. Is this something that people have mentioned to you recently? Do you have any idea when this "bad thing" is supposed to have happened. (BTW, isn't rather a leap from "something bad happened" to "murder"?)

There is a Jimmy Buffet song where he talks about puking on the bar at "Spago's" and then getting his nose broken. Don't know if this is based on a real-life incident (with Buffet, I suspect it was :)), but its about as close to a report involving violence and the restaurant as I can find.

Regards,

Joe

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
No idea about Spago's but in a related note Jerry Orbach from Law and Order was at the table during a mob hit in Sparks in NY. Forgot who was killed.

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
Here's one place: The Great White Oprah.

In the first paragraph.
Two weeks ago on Today, Rosie O'Donnell announced that she will end her daily talk show when her contract expires in 2002. In the Entertainment States of America, a star may graduate to a movie career, the network may cancel her show, her option may not be picked up, she may be murdered by a stalker at Spago between seasons, but she does not quit television. It is downright un-American.
I read this article when it originally came out, so maybe it was the first (and only) time I heard about someone being murdered at Spago's (or Spago), but I'm so sure I heard it somewhere else, too. "murdered by a stalker at Spago" seems a little too specific to not be a reference to something that actually happened.

Of course the article is almost two and a half years old. Maybe when I read it that first time, I thought someone actually had been killed (and the murder was famous enough that the victim's name didn't have to be mentioned) and the thought stayed in my mind ever since.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
...a star may graduate to a movie career, the network may cancel her show, her option may not be picked up, she may be murdered by a jealous ex on her front steps, feet away from her sleeping children, but she does not quit television. It is downright un-American.
Kinda jarring, isn't it? :)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks