Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SACD hookup?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor

• 688 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 09:57 AM

I don't have a SACD player but something has me lost. When hooking up a SACD player do you have to use the multi outputs to actually get the benefits of the player, or can you use a digital optical or coax cable. I'm just curious because for what I understand if you use the digital connection's it wont play back to its full potential.

And if this is true why. I don't understand why multi channel DVD would but not SACD.
Thanks for any help.

#2 of 5 Marc_T

Marc_T

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 11:06 AM

you need to hook up the multi chanel out puts of the sacd or dvd audio to the multi chanal inputs on your amp via rca cords in order to achive the multi chanal sound Posted Image

#3 of 5 Michael Were

Michael Were

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 11:19 AM

Further, you can hook it up to your left right analog inputs for stereo playback (which every sacd is required to have). The problem with digital and analog inputs without analog bypass is that they convert the signal to pcm which defeats the purpose of sacd.

Michael

#4 of 5 Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor

• 688 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 01:21 PM

Thanks guys that was all I was wondering. I had always heard that you had to use the analog multi ch outs but I didn't completely understand why. That clears it up for me.

#5 of 5 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 07:07 PM

Joe, you have to use analog outputs for all SACD playback unless you have the Pioneer VSX49 reciever and 47Ai universal player that have a digital connection for such. Expect more such connecions in the future. You can play CD's via a digital connection on SACD players. Best wishes!
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!