What's new

Looking for TV buying advice (32" HDTV) (1 Viewer)

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
This is a duplicate of my post over at AVS, so forgive me if you've already read it over there.

I am considering purchasing a new TV for my home. I currently have a ~12 year old 19" Magnavox and I'm looking to move up in size, but also want something to last me 10+ years. For this reason I'm looking into getting a 32" HDTV set. I've done some reading here and in other forums and I've picked up a few things about new TVs, but not everything.

Currently I use my TV for 80% satelite and 20% DVDs. I don't have a game console, but I am interested in occasionally connecting my notebook to the TV via S-video or VGA and maybe an HTPC in the future. I know direct-view sets don't currently have great resolution, are there upcoming sets with greater resolution or better PC support?

I've briefly looked at some of the options from Sony, JVC, Panasonic, Toshiba, Samsung. I'm up for paying up to about $1500. Are there any strong reasons for brand choice, or should I go by what I think looks best and has the features I want?

I've seen a bit about the DVI-HDCP and IEEE1394/5c discussions and I know some of the current sets have DVI-HDCP inputs (Sony and JVC come to mind). It sounds like if I want something that will last 10+ years I should have at least one, if not both, of these inputs. Any thoughts on that point? I've seen some people say that sets coming out later this year will have more input options.

I'm happy to wait 6 months or so if it means I can get something will more longevity or major feature updates.

Thanks for any help.

JasonRH

Second Unit
If you don't mind waiting for a few months the new models from certain manufacturers should be out and may include DVI inputs for those sets that don't already have them. Once you get all the connectivity options covered, you can base your decision more on what picture you find the most pleasing and less on things like connection options. Just a thought.

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice. Do you know of any specific new products that will contain DVI-HDCP or IEEE1394/5c? Panasonic, Toshiba or Samsung perhaps?

JasonRH

Second Unit
I have heard that the new Samsung direct views will have DVI but haven't read it officially. There's a Toshiba widescreen direct view that already has a DVI connector so it's possible the new 4:3 sets will incorporate them. Not sure about Panasonic but I would guess that most new sets (from all major manufacturers) will have DVI. Good luck.

Davis

Agent
Loewe Calida, can be had for close to your price range. I'd waite a couple of more months, as mentioned above.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I just purchased a Sony KV32HV600, and it is the best direct view 4:3 television I have ever seen. Crystal clear images, great features, and has the DVI input already. Also, has a memory stick input, if you are into that sort of thing. I also got mine for a great price, well below your $1500 range. Email me if you are interested in knowing where to purchase it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks