What's new

Difference between DTS CD and DVD-Audio? (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry if this is a basic and redundant question. I tried to do a search but couldn't zero in on any specific answers, so please don't flame me! :)

If my assumptions are correct, I can play a DTS CD in any DVD player/receiver combo with DTS capabilities, correct? And are these CD's multichannel, stereo, or both?

Also, what is the consensus on the sound quality of DTS CDs? Would I be better off getting a DVD-Audio player? And also, what are some recommended DTS CD titles?

Thanks for the help.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
And are these CD's multichannel, stereo, or both?
DTS-encoded CDs are multichannel but not stereo.

The sound quality is pretty good with DTS. DVD-Audio is even better though because it does not use lossy compression like DTS does. However, if you're not used to hearing subtle differences, I bet you wouldn't notice that you're missing a thing with the DTS CDs.

-JNS

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Scott, DTS CDs are encoded in 5.1 surround sound using the DTS compression algorithm. As such, the fidelity is of lower quality than the sound quality offered by CDs, DVD-Audio discs, and SACDs. DTS CDs are not encoded in stereo. You can play DTS CDs in three ways:

* On a CD player connected to a 5.1-channel receiver or pre/pro with a DTS decoder via an optical or coaxial digital cable.

* On a DVD-Video player with the "DTS Digital Out" logo on the front panel (meaning any player available today) to a 5.1-channel receiver or pre/pro with a DTS decoder via an optical or coaxial digital cable.

* On a DVD-Video player with a built-in DTS decoder connected to a 5.1-channel receiver or pre/pro via the 5.1-channel outputs (i.e., six RCA cables).

The DVD-Audio format offers the capability of stereo and surround sound (5.1) playback at higher resolution than the CD (and therefore, higher resolution than DTS too). DVD-Audio uses PCM as the encoding algorithm like the CD, but while the CD is limited to encoding in 16-bit/44.1-kHz PCM, DVD-Audio can offer up to 24/192 in stereo and 24/96 in surround sound. In practice, the wordlength (the number of bits per pulse) on DVD-Audio discs can vary, though a 24-bit word is far and away the most prevalent. However, the sampling rate (in kHz) varies widely on DVD-Audio discs. In most cases, stereo tracks are presented in 24/96, but some discs are encoded 24/88.2 or 24/48, and some are encoded at the maximum 24/192. Most surround-sound tracks are encoded at 24/96.

The vast majority of DVD-Audio discs offer a high-resolution surround-sound track, and some also offer a high-resolution stereo track as well. Most discs also have DVD-Video-compatible Dolby Digital and/or DTS surround-sound tracks as well.

Note that to play DVD-Audio tracks, you must have a DVD-Audio player. Some are available through www.crutchfield.com , Best Buy, and Circuit City. Again, with a DVD-Video player, you can play Dolby Digital or DTS tracks that may be encoded on a DVD-Audio disc.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jagan, you covered the key information far more succinctly than I did. ;) I can be a bit wordy. :rolleyes:As Jim Morrison once said, "I'd rather be a wordman. Better than a birdman." :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
DTS CD's sound quite good (most of the time hard to tell the difference from a regular CD). Dvd-audio adds those extra details that make things sound really good.

DTS Entertainment "5.1 music discs"

I own the Seventh Sojourn disc--it sounds great. Very immersive mix. Next will be Days of Future Passed & Every Breath You Take.

LJ

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
DTS CD's do sound very close to cd quality but as posted DVD-A is even better. Also there are not that many DTS CD's where there are a growing number of DVD-A and SACD discs. Lastly DTS CD's tend to be very aggressive in thier surround mix compared to dvd-a and sacd. Some people like this others like a little more laid back aproach. Some of the DTS cd's are very good including the police greatest hits and sheryl crow's "the globe sessions"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks