What's new

Panasonic RP-56 Progressive is out! (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Yessss! The Panasonic RP-56 progressive scan DVD player is officially out (and have seen it personally on display, but not demo-ed). The Canadian price is $420 including taxes (about US$ 250 before taxes).
It seems to have the 3:2 pull-down conversion and anamorphic 'upconversion'. At least according to the salesperson.
Anybody can verify this?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I saw the 'RP56 at a Circuit City in Delaware on Sunday for $250 USD. It looks like a nice player, but I didn't thoroughly examine it. Everyone has been talking about the 'RP61 and 'RP91, but I've heard little about the 'RP56. Of course, the 'RP61 and 'RP91 offer DVD-Audio, which is a nice step-up.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

David Susilo

Screenwriter
I have demo-ed DVD-A, I like it, but none of the available CDs are to my liking, so doubling the price to get the RP-91 is a moot point.
On Panasonic.com website, the footnote on the progressive capability is kinda strange. It states that progressive mode only works on 24fps movies. WTF?

J

John Morris

the RP-56 looks almost like a rebirth of the RV-80?
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

J

John Morris

David: Actually I misspoke when I compared the RV80 to the new RP56. The RV80 is a discontinued Panasonic DVD player which used 54/12 video but was NOT progressive. It was/is the ultimate unit to use with an external line doubler/scaler.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
[Edited last by John Morris on August 07, 2001 at 09:04 AM]

J

John Morris

David: here is a link to info on the Panasonic site: Link Removed What is strange is that the first page of this info lists the unit as using 54/10 video processing and the second page says it uses 27/10 processing????
Hello Tom J! Are you around here anywhere???
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I received one from OneCall over a week ago, but it sits unopened in my family room. It's a retirement gift for my brother. He'll get it on Saturday. He has a 52" 4:3 Panasonic HD-ready RPTV set, but no DVD player ... until now. I thought this would be a good fit for his new TV.
I have the RP91, since I have a widescreen RPTV.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
and as I mentioned previously, the phrase
"Progressive scanning can be seen only with 24-frame-rate film source material."
also bugs me. So if I'm using 30fps material (or non-flagged 24fps material), the image won't be progressive?

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
I'm wondering the same thing John Morris is: does it really have the 54mhz video DAC's. Also, any info on whether it has both optical and Coax digital out, or only optical like the lower end RV-31? My curent DVD player (Panasonic A110) is connected via coax, I'd prefer to reuse that cable instead of having to snake another into the jungle back there!
Andrej
------------------

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Also, any info on whether it has both optical and Coax digital out
According to the website this only has an optical output. Why does every Panasonic but the RP91 use only optical?
------------------
Rich
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

RussR

Stunt Coordinator
The RP56 is new, having just become available at the end of July. I purchased one from Onecall, but haven't had a chance to work with it very much yet. I don't have a 16x9 TV, so I can't answer any questions in that department. I can confirm that it has only optical out, not coax.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
The RP-56 is an older model.
That's incorrect Will. The RP56 was just released and only became available in recent days. You must be confusing it with another model number. The RP91 was the first of the "new" Panasonic progressive-scan models available. This is the second. Soon the RP61 should be around too, if not already.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
bump bump!
laugh.gif

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
The DVD-RP56 is in fact a new model. It does have a 54MHz/10-bit D/A converter. The reason for only one connection (coax) on the lower end models is simple. Every, switch, knob, or input carries a cost. When hitting a certain price point sacrifices must be made. The first thing to be considered would naturally be a redundant connection. Both would be great but if it effects the cost you can live with one is the thought process behind it.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
the first page of this info lists the unit as using 54/10 video processing and the second page says it uses 27/10 processing
The CDN panasonic site only lists the RP56 as 54/10. I can't say this is definitive...but all leads point to the player as being 54/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks