Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Three Kings: Sequel??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 Phil Florian

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 06:11 AM

Howdy,
I am pulling out my copy of Three Kings this week to watch one more time. Now that we are in the thick of Gulf War II, it will be interesting to watch the politics of this film. I liked this movie a lot when it came out and thought it was a nice mix of politics-lite and action with a good dose of humor to balance it out. So will there be a Four Kings? Three Kings After Next? It is interesting that the firt movie's sort of banner moment was when the soldier's turn their need to get the gold into their need to save the refugees they are doing what supposedly this current war is out to do (okay, one of the many changing reasons). Just a thought on it.

Phil

#2 of 33 Paul_D

Paul_D

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 07:42 AM

If there was to be another, it wouldn't happen for years and years. A major studio like WB wouldn't so blatantly court political controversy so close to the event. Also, the filmmakers involved don't particularly strike me as the kind of people to "cash in" on these times. Plus, the plot really doesn't lend itself to a continuation. It wrapped itself up very nicely indeed. Posted Image
[c][/c]
[c]"Where did you take, this girl Jerry?"[/c]

#3 of 33 Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter

• 1,302 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 02:45 PM

If they do make one I'll be seriously pissed off. Three Kings is excellent and there's absolutely no need for a sequel.

You could look at it as a referrence to the current war, as well. One could interpret the pivotal scene as the first war ending and the second beginning.
"It is not, and never should be, the policy of the law to require the protection of the foolhardy or reckless few and therefore to deprive, or interfere with, the enjoyment by the remainder of society of the liberties and amenities to which they are rightly entitled." -unknown

#4 of 33 Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 07:18 PM

I put it on right when the war was starting. We really left those people high and dry when we intially said we would back them.
................but oil was not the reason we were there.
And that's true again
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#5 of 33 Phil Florian

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 02:24 AM

but oil was not the reason we were there.

Right. It was Saddam's gold! Posted Image

Phil

#6 of 33 chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 04:12 AM

How about "Live from Baghdad II", with Michael Keaton reprising his role, and Michelle Pfeiffer as the new love interest/colleague.

Quote:
Three Kings After Next?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 of 33 Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor

• 867 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 04:34 AM

Three Kings 2: Electric Boogaloo

Posted Image

-Dennis
He must have died while carving it!...

#8 of 33 Chucky P

Chucky P

Supporting Actor

• 753 posts
  • LocationMound, MN

Posted April 01 2003 - 06:04 AM

Three Kings II: The Legend of Saddam's Gold! Posted Image

#9 of 33 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 09:26 AM

Wait a second, I thought I was watching the sequel the other day on CNN??? I thought it was being run as a mini-series, sort of like Traffik.

Man, remember that scene when Geraldo Rivera made an ass out of himself when they said he was already thrown out of the country. That was the funniest part I thought. Not sure about his journalism, but his comedy acting is top notch.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 of 33 Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 10:22 AM

I remember reading in a local paper a while ago someone overhearing two kids talking about Titanic and one asking the other when Titanic II was going to be out.
The other just said something like,"probably soon"

I think you should copyright your ideas....they almost seem like something hollywood would steal

Who would make a good Saddam for the Sequel?
Michael Moore with a Suntan? No...George Hamilton would be perfect. It'll be 3 Kings meet Hogan's Heroes. Sort of a Wacky Zany follow up with bed screen electocians and a great laugh track.... eyes popping out Tex Avery style
Gotta Go ....must write script....
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#11 of 33 Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,688 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 02:58 AM

THREE KINGS is one of those films that was kind of overlooked by the general public, but is now more relevant than ever. Think I'll watch it again tonight. Thanks, Phil!
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#12 of 33 Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,241 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 05:35 AM

I watched it again a couple of days ago...wow...I forgot what an excellent and funny film it is...Posted Image Very relevant...

#13 of 33 chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted April 02 2003 - 05:46 AM

Yeah, I really thought that Three Kings was a great movie. One of the top 1/3 of movies that came out in 1999, which really was a banner year for creativity and daring in the film industry.
That being said, it is too bad that David O. Russell really burned his bridges in Hollywood because of his numerous fights with George Clooney on the set. His two previous movies were fantastic, and since Clooney is the Big Man on Campus in Hollywood, it has taken a good long while for Russell to get his next movie made. But the cast for his next movie, I Love Huckabee's, looks incredible.

#14 of 33 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 11:08 PM

I also revisited this one again recently and I absolutely consider it one of the best modern war flicks ever made. Seriously. What a brave and ballsy and smart and funny movie this is.

Great cast. Some exciting sequences that don't devolve into the 'popcorn' variety. A phenomenal soundtrack. Clooney at his best.

When Wahlberg orders Jonze to get the ass map, absently tossing off lines about 'chain of command' you can't help but love this movie.

#15 of 33 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 05:31 PM

I did the same Scott (probably a lot of us are) and I agree. I had forgotten just how lively and creative the script and direction were for this film. Right there with Catch-22 or MASH IMO. It covers issues from multiple points of view (refreshing in films that tackle such topics) and keeps the emotions rather complex, yet it lays all of that under the veneer of a basic action film. It's a great accomplishment I think.

I'd also call it Ice Cube's best work yet.

I will say that it's also a very different viewing with the new war going on.

#16 of 33 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 10:10 PM

Good points all, Seth.

This is easily one of my all-time favorite war films and I suspect its reputation and popularity will improve as years go by.

#17 of 33 Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 10:45 PM

Talk about timely!

Check out this excellent New York Times article! (Free registration required.)

One Film, Two Wars, 'Three Kings'

The most fascinating stuff comes on Page 2:

David O. Russell:

"Other than that, all that comes to mind is that I and the producers and Warner Brothers were given an award by the largest Arab organization in the United States for our humane portrayal of Arabs. And my phone is tapped. I'm not sure by whom, but I know it's tapped and I've had experts confirm it. You can hear them click on to every phone call."

!!!

#18 of 33 Phil Florian

Phil Florian

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 03:19 AM

!!!!

#19 of 33 Michael*K

Michael*K

Screenwriter

• 1,815 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 04:23 PM

That's an outstanding article on one of the most underrated films I've ever seen. A great film! Posted Image

I love the whole movie. Perhaps the biggest laugh I had was when they're struggling to take the gold out...Cube is talking about the tensilary strength of the Vuitton suitcases and Wahlberg says in a deadpan manner to a confused Clooney, "He works at an airport, sir."

#20 of 33 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 04:27 PM

Great film and great article!
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]