What's new

Help for a newbie please (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
Hi, I am new to home theatre.
I just bought a sony home theatre system, model ht-ddw840.
I will soon be getting a new dvd player but for right now, i am using my ps2. I cant get the DOLBY DIGITAL to light up on the display of the reciever, all that lights up is the PRO LOGIC display.

How do i get dolby digital to work?
My reciever is capable of it i know.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jeremy,

Welcome to the forum!

What audio connection are you using? It should be either the coax or a Toslink (optical). Not: "stereo" plugs.

Also, check all settings of your receiver, you must be sure the proper input channel is chosen (the coax or the Toslink) and the Dolby Digital setting activated.
(And the DVD must be set to DD 5.1 too!)

Good luck and please let us know if you succeed.

Cees

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
i bought a optical digital cable yesterday to hook into the dvd (ps2) and the reciever.

i went to the ps2 setup and put digital output on.

so if i am using a optical digital connection from the ps2 to the recieevr, do i still have to plug the ps2 RCA's to the receiever?

i dont get it, the OPT displays on the receiver but the DOLBY DIGITAL will not, maybe the ps2 is not capable of it, but then why is the ps2 have a dolby digital setting control?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jeremy,

No, better use one at a time. So you should leave the RCA cable out if you have an optical one. Some receivers even don't want to see stereo cables if they are to use the DD processing. Consult the manual.

Make sure all settings now enable DD: possible DVD-player settings (sound or audio options), settings of the receiver: choice of the input plug (is there a switch next to the Toslink?), choice of the sound mode. Then make sure you have a DD 5.1 DVD playing and the menu set to the DD 5.1 audio (if necessary).

Note that a lot of defaults, including factory settings, favour Dolby Pro-Logic, which is not the one you want!

Cees

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
i took the ps2 rcas out but had to leave the yellow one in to get sound.

everything is set to dolby digital, and a 5.1 dvd is in, but DOLBY DIGITAL still not lighting up in display. This pisses me off.

Sounds good like this, what will dolby digital make it sound like?

BrentPollard

Second Unit
The yellow one if hooked into yellow in's and outs's will be for video not sound.(This may be what you meant). It's been awhile but I think you have to go into the PS2 menu and pick the DD setting as well as choosing the optical out make sure it is not set to PCM. ;)

JeffPh

Agent
First off I'm a newbie too, so I feel your pain.

You may be confused about what the optical cable does (or I'm confused). Optical is audio not video, so if you only connect the optical you'll get no picture. The "yellow" on your RCA is video so you do need to have it connected if your PS2 doesn't have video component ports (green, blue, and red). I know this doesn't solve your problem, but it can't hurt to know which cable does what.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
but how come when i have the optical cable plugged in and no rca's , i get picture but no sound. then when i plug in yellow rca, i get sound?

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
ok guys, i read through the ps2 manual and had to press select while a dvd was playign in order to get to the setup menu. dolby digital is working now, but it does nto sound any different from what i can tell.

what difference should i notice while dd is playing?

BrentPollard

Second Unit
It's gonna depend on what DVD's you have been watching. Some just don't have a lot of presence. Try Fellowship Of The Ring watch to the prologue in prologic then play it again in DD.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks