Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New here major question.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   David Preston

David Preston

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 06:05 PM

I have a hitachi 57"rptv and am wondering if I am causing any damage to my tv by having my acoustic research center channel speaker sitting on it(because of the magnets). I also have my receiver and dvd player on top of the tv is it doing anything bad. Not a big fan of entertainment centers or cabinets. My wires are still hidden pretty well that would be the only reason I would use a cabinet. I have heard of speakes causing damage to tv because of the magnets. Thanks in advance. David

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 07:42 PM

You should be fine. All the electronics and the CRT tubes of the TV are at the bottom, plenty of distance from the speaker.

The only thing that the speaker is sitting on top of is the mirror.
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 08:15 PM

I would NOT recommend putting all those things on top. The TV frame might not hold up all the weight very well and might sag over time.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 02:54 AM

Man is quite correct the weight of all that gear is not good for a tv frame stress fractures might evolve over time then your up the creek with a paddle.
Cheers

John

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 09:31 AM

Quote:
The TV frame might not hold up all the weight very well and might sag over time
But aren't new tv's built for that in mind? Maybe not the added weight of a reciever, but a center speaker shouldn't be heavy enough to sag it.

I have my center speaker and my ReplayTV on top, but I keep the ReplayTV toward the far left side where there's more support from the side of the cabinet.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 09:34 AM

A center speaker is not a problem, but more than that could be a big issue. I know id never put my receiver and dvd player on mine it would cause serious damage, these tv's are not emant to take more tha 10 pounds or so for a center channel, maybe a bit more weight, but i would not chance it, companies cut costs by putting less of that stuff like structeral integrity into their products.
Cheers

John

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   David Preston

David Preston

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 07:56 PM

So I guess all you guys agree with Max. The magnets in the center channel will not hurt my picture or anything inside the tv. Thanks for the advice guys.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 02:39 AM

As others have said, you shouldn't be concerned with the magnets in the speakers, but with the weight of all the equipment on top...even tube TV's have enough shielding in them, and a good center speaker should be sheilded properly since the top of a tv is where most of them end up.

If I were you, I'd find out what your TV manufacturer recommends as the max weight. Try emailing their tech support. As John-Miles said, 10 pounds is probably a good reference weight, which would be fine for a speaker and maybe the DVD player, but your receiver may be adding a bit too much extra weight.

If you absolutely have to have the receiver up there, definitely keep it to one side where there is more structural support.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   John-Miles

John-Miles

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 07:58 AM

To the side may not necessairly do it either, depending on the actualy construction and inside structure the center may be the best place for it, bottom line is take the receiver off.
Cheers

John