What's new

Anyone got the new Centrino laptops? (1 Viewer)

Mark Lee

Second Unit
I've been browsing the laptop market lately, because I decided I needed to move on from my 6-year-old 600 MHz Pentium III Dell desktop, and various considerations made me look at switching to a laptop.

Of course, the big hubbub these days in the laptop market has been Intel's new Centrino/Pentium M systems. The reviews all say the Centrino machines outperform P-IV machines with much higher MHz ratings; my question is, has someone actually come out and stated what the equivalent MHz ratings for the Pentium M and the Pentium IV machines are, in terms of speed/performance? I'm trying to get an idea just how much of a price premium I'm paying for the newfangled technology....

Thanx in advance!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Toms hardware did a comparison that you might find interesting. I think they were looking at the 1.6Ghz models. If the prices were lower I would have given them more of a look when I bought my laptop last week but I just couldn't justify the added cost.

Daniel Alan

Agent
www.anandtech.com did a comprehensive review of the centrino tech and of some of the early adoptors. In short, they concluded that the centrino was the best thing to ever happen to mobile computing, and I would agree (after spending some time with the Dell centrino notebook). The benchmarks put the 1.6Ghz Pentium-M processor at about the same speed as a 2.5Ghz P4-M processor, and even faster in some tests, so you won't be gibing up any performance by going with the Pentium-M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks