Jump to content

Sign up for a free account to remove the pop-up ads

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Question about Electricity in Europe

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Sean Cullen

Sean Cullen


  • 34 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 05 1999

Posted March 29 2003 - 03:21 PM

I'm planning on traveling to Germany at the end of April and I want to bring my Sony camcorder along to film. However, I'm not sure how I'll be able to recharge the batteries because I'm not familiar with power converters at all. Could someone please suggest a solution to my problem? Thanks.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy


  • 4,769 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 30 1999

Posted March 29 2003 - 05:42 PM

Sean, with respect, yout title question about 'electricity in *Europe*' is misleading - different European countries have different supplies. I don't know about Germany, I'm afraid, but given the plethora of Japanese/American tourists all over Europe with camcorders, I can't believe that there isn't a solution Posted Image

Try the following link:

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

    Executive Producer

  • 11,286 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 04 1999

Posted March 29 2003 - 05:49 PM

Go to Radio Shack

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn


  • 1,612 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 16 1999

Posted March 30 2003 - 12:53 AM

Here's some good summary info:


#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

    Executive Producer

  • 19,080 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 31 1997
  • Real Name:Cees Alons

Posted March 30 2003 - 11:26 AM

Are you going to be in a hotel? Then you can most probably recharge your batteries on the shaver outlet. Modern hotels often have converters for overseas customers built in those outlets. Generally, the 110V version of those outlets are also conforming to the US-type plug.

I do the same when I'm in England/Ireland/the US, etc.

If you're not going to be in a hotel: buy a 240 -> 110 V converter. They're here too, don't look for "Radio Shack", but equivalent shops exist Posted Image.


#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer


  • 5,593 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 23 1998

Posted March 30 2003 - 01:17 PM

Does anyone else find this subject shocking? It even has a plug for Sony! This has been another pointless post...

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard


  • 2,314 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 24 1999

Posted March 31 2003 - 01:32 AM

Check the little power pack for your camcorder for charging. Most likely, it is a multi-voltage pack (it'll say 100-240V, 50/60Hz). If it is, then you can just get the two-prong adapter, and plug it directly into the wall in Germany. I was just there, and I did this exact thing with: 1. My Sony DSC-S70 digital camera 2. My HP Laptop 3. My Toshiba SD-P2000 portable DVD player All three have multi-voltage power packs, so I had no issues charging batteries with the ordinary 220V/50Hz wall supply there. Todd
I love to singa, about the moon-a, and the june-a, and the springa...
-Owl Jolson

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Holadem


    Lead Actor

  • 8,972 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 04 2000

Posted March 31 2003 - 04:41 AM

They have electricity in europe? (OK OK, having been at the receiving end of this sort of stupid phrase, I just wanted to knwo what it felt like to say it :B) -- Holadem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users