What's new

The Natural mode on Tosh 42H82 (1 Viewer)

BruceVC

Grip
I read the primer/FAQ here regarding HDTV basics because I needed to understand signalling differences better. It has helped me but I am confused about one thing with my TV.

I tend to watch most of my programming in TW1 on the Tosh but the manual says I should "select Natural size to view a conventional 1080i source in the wide-screen format." The diagram in the manual associated with this suggests there are no bars on the sides.

Now, I know when I watch conventional 4:3 programs in natural mode, I get the light gray bars on the right and left sides (and subsequently use TW1 to get rid of the bars). I have tried to find a program where I thought it was being broadcast in HD (the NCAA games, CSI etc) and used my natural mode but I still get the gray bars on the side. In fact, I have not found any program yet where those gray bars disappear in natural mode.

I have a Time Warner digital cable STB that acts as my HD receiver for the Tosh but I must be missing something or doing something wrong. Any thoughts?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Greetings,

The Tosh set does not allow for zooming / stretch modes when accepting a 1080i signal. Perhaps your HD box will do the stretching / zooming to fill the screen on 4x3 material.

Regards

Gregg

BruceVC

Grip
The Tosh set does not allow for zooming/stretch modes when accepting a 1080i signal.
I'll have to agree with you there Greg. Although my manual doesn't specifically say so, it does note that a 720p signal source can be viewed in Natural mode only so I figure the same for 1080i.

Am I right in saying that a 1080i conventional signal is always in widescreen format? If so, is there a particular "1080i signal" show or program out there that I can view to test out using the "natural" mode without seeing gray bars on the sides? I haven't seen anything program come through yet that doesn't have the bars in "natural," therefore I don't think I have seen a true HD program on my TV yet.

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
Gregg, Are you certain about the zooming with the Toshiba h82 sets? When I watch a 1080i signal from comcast, the "FULL" is greyed out and not selectable, but I can still use TW1, TW2 and TW3 stretch modes. So if there is a show that is upconverted to 1080i and is in 4:3 format, I just use TW1 to get rid of the grey bars.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hmmmm....

unless this is something new with the 82 series??

???

Alan M

Second Unit
Tis true,when watching a 1080i signal on my h82,I can still switch to tw1,2,or 3.

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, just tested it myself. I switched to the TW PBS demo loop (1080i) and sure enough, can switch from Normal to TW1, TW2, and TW3. Only Full is grayed out. It stretched the picture and it still looked great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks