-

Photo

Y Tu Mama Tambien Region 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 PaulEB

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 03:07 AM

Is it possible for someone in region 1 to buy this DVD from the Amazon.com UK site, or is it illegal?

I've noticed the extra features are much better on the region 2 DVD and I believe my PC can play any region DVD(legal?).

#2 of 17 Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 03:36 AM

It's not illegal to buy DVDs from other regions and never has been, so you should have no problem ( I'm in Europe and I order stuff from the US Amazon all the time ). It's also not illegal to own a multi region DVD player or DVD-ROM. As far as I know, to make such things illegal would be a major violation of basic consumer rights.

#3 of 17 PaulEB

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 03:51 AM

Thanks Sean. Soneone mentioned software called DVD Genie that can allow products such as Win DVD to allow playback of any region DVD. Is this allowable as well?

#4 of 17 Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 06:09 AM

I don't know if technically DVDGenie is legal or not, but practically, I have never heard of anybody selling any region free product being harassed. That includes list of endless region free DVD players advertised on EBay or many DVD outlets, such as Yesasia.com, DeepDiscountDVD,..and in CNET download.com, there are a number of products advertised too. Since none of these has any disclaimer (such as provided in DVD copy hardware or software), I kind of suspect it's legal.
Whether DVDgenie will help in your particular case, is not totally cut and dry. DVDgenie only handles the "soft" portion of the region free business, in other words, if your DVD drive itself is manufactured before year 2000, it's pretty safe. Otherwise, all DVD drives manufactured after 2000 is "supposed" to have firmware enforced region coding. BUT, that's not "hard and fast" either, as I know some very major manufacturers, such as LiteON (sell under it's own brand as well as OEM to other brands), still makes region free DVD drives.
Go to VCDhelp.com and you should find all you ever want to know there.

#5 of 17 Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 09:40 AM

Indeed, it is probably region coded players that are illegal, as they operate as a restriction on consumers being able to play DVDs legitimately purchased from other regions. Obviously, with the wealth of titles in the US, there is much ignorance at the retail level over region free players, but outside North America region coded players are less and less attractive, such that many of the manufacturers don't even bother to region code their players (or make them especially easy to modify). The manufacturers have no interest in maintaining the region coding fiction, and some government consumer bodies (such as in Australia) have all but declared region coding illegal.

#6 of 17 PaulEB

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 12:21 PM

It is frustrating here in region 1 at times. There are some titles that are released in region 2 for example that have better extra features. Y Tu Mama Tambien is one of those examples. I hear the Italian release is a bare bones package. I just don't understand the disconnect between all the various releases for one movie. I have never desired to look into other regions, but since I discovered that Y Tu Mama Tambien has the extra features in the region 2 release, I'm thinking of making my first purchase. As long as I can make it work on my PC.

#7 of 17 Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis

Second Unit

• 491 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 03:21 AM

Are you sure that buying DVD from other regions are not in fact violating copyrights??
By importing this DVD, you're depriving whoever bought the rights to distribute this movie/DVD in the US from revenues because of lost sales...

Vincent

#8 of 17 Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 04:05 AM

Quote:
Are you sure that buying DVD from other regions are not in fact violating copyrights??

No. A person is entitled to spend their money as they chose and there is no law against importing ( unless it's bootlegged or questionable X rated material I presume ). And besides, if you buy from abroad online, the transaction is made in the licensed territory. If it was illegal, then Amazon, Barns & Noble and who knows how many other online companies would have been in big trouble a long time ago.

#9 of 17 Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 07:14 AM

>>Are you sure that buying DVD from other regions are not in fact violating copyrights?? <<

I am not a legal expert, but I highly doubted that's true. There's ten's of millions of immigrants in the US, from all over the world, China, Japan, Korea, India,..., all over the world. These people are not necesaarily buying, say R2 Star Wars or Titanics, but they are buying R3 Shaw Brothers, or "Bellywood" musicals or whatever, that have no R1 versions or dsitributors. It seemed hard for me to believe that it is illegal to buy movies that's not available in one's current residental "region".

#10 of 17 Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis

Second Unit

• 491 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 09:40 AM

I'm not saying that the idea of region coding isn't stupid ('cause let's face it, it's really stupid) or anything... But there were clear action taken by the studios to avoid imported R1 DVD in France for exemple... And if a studio sell let's say TV shows rights for syndication (often exclusive) but that everybody in the US imports the DVD 'cause the show is being released elsewhere, this IMHO clearly deprives the buyer of the syndication rights of revenues.
Speaking of Titanic, it was distributed by Paramount in R1, but by 20th Fox in R2. Thus by buying R1 when living in R2 you're giving money to Paramount instead of 20th FOX... Shouldn't 20th Fox be mad?

BTW, most of my collection is R1 (but I live in R2) because I want to be able to choose the "best" release available, no matter in which region the DVD was released...
One more question (as a non native English speaker): when you answer "No" to a question starting with "Are you sure..." you're really saying that you're not sure... the opposite of the rest of your answer... or am I wrong? I know it is the case in French, but in English?

Cheers,

Vincent

#11 of 17 Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 03:21 PM

It is only illegal to import if you intend to re-sell the imported DVD for commercial gain. Importation for personal use is, and always has been, legal and would, in any event, be impossible to police.

#12 of 17 PaulEB

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted April 04 2003 - 02:46 PM

If I purchase the Region 2 version of Y Tu Mama Tambien, which is PAL format (UK Amazon), will I be able to play this on my PC(assuming I have a region free DVD drive and player)?

#13 of 17 Hendrik

Hendrik

Supporting Actor

• 596 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 12:21 AM

Yes.

#14 of 17 James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 03:14 AM

Quote:
Speaking of Titanic, it was distributed by Paramount in R1, but by 20th Fox in R2. Thus by buying R1 when living in R2 you're giving money to Paramount instead of 20th FOX... Shouldn't 20th Fox be mad?

Yes, it may well annoy Fox, but if they provide an equal or better quality disc for a reasonable cost, importing shouldn't be an issue. Don't forget Fox cause a lot of ill feeling as DVD was taking off in the UK by greedily setting the price of Titanic (and a few other titles) at £25 (about $40). They really only have themselves to blame for making imports seem so attractive.

Publishers also licence books to other publishers in other territories, but it has never ever been even been suggested by the publishing industry that importing books may be illegal.

Toy Biz action figures in the UK are imported and released by Playmates but nobody has ever suggested importing imported action figures is illegal.

I'm sure that there are lots of other examples.

The fact is importing items for personal use is only illegal in the rarest of cases and normally for health and safety reasons, and certainly never because the distribution rights are split over two territories. The MPPA saw a chance to 'enforce' distribution electronically and jumped at the chance.

Another reason why I have little love for the MPAA - their region coding system has basically created a new 'urban myth' - that importing DVDs is illegal. Something I'm quite sure was intentional and sadly, lots of people (especially in America, the centre of 'free trade') seem to believe.
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#15 of 17 PaulEB

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 10:48 AM

Given that it will work on my PC (laptop), will I also be able to use the S-video port on my laptop and view the DVD on a TV?

#16 of 17 Hendrik

Hendrik

Supporting Actor

• 596 posts

Posted April 05 2003 - 04:00 PM

No - unless, that is, you happen to be the proud owner of a multi-system TV (prevalent in PAL countries but afaik not so in the USA)...

. . . Posted Image . . .

#17 of 17 Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted April 06 2003 - 05:47 PM

Quote:
No - unless, that is, you happen to be the proud owner of a multi-system TV (prevalent in PAL countries but afaik not so in the USA)...

Actually, while I haven't tried it with a laptop, I have played a PAL DVD on a PC, sent the output to an NTSC TV, and had it work with no problems. I'm not sure what the precise technical explanation is, but roughly what happens is that the DVD software (or hardware, depending on what kind of MPEG2 decoder you're using) converts the PAL image to the computer's display format, and the video card converts the PC's video image (including the DVD video) to NTSC so that it can be sent out to a TV. However, I have heard of cases where the video out will send out everything on the computer screen out to the TV except the DVD video, in much the same way that you can take a capture of the entire screen while a DVD is playing (using the "Print Scrn" key) and the DVD image area will sometimes appear blank. I think this is a decoder-related issue.

Forum Nav Content I Follow