What's new

August MGM Midnite Movies and Horror Promotion titles! (1 Viewer)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just saw this at DVDDrive-In, and I am one happy bastard being the horror fanatic that I am:

MIDNITE MOVIES:
COUNTESS DRACULA/THE VAMPIRE LOVERS--COUNTESS DRACULA: Letterbox 1.66:1; complete, uncensored British cut; commentary track with Director Peter Sasdy, Screenwriter Jeremy Paul and star Ingrid Pitt; trailer. THE VAMPIRE LOVERS: l.85:1, 16x9; commentary track with Director Roy Ward Baker, Screenwriter Tudor Gates and star Ingrid Pitt; excerpts from "Carmilla" read by Ingrid Pitt, accompanied by stills gallery; trailer. This includes all of the restored footage from MGM's VHS edition, plus the full-frontal nude shot of Ingrid Pitt emerging from the bathtub that has never appeared on any previous U.S. video release! This transfer also corrects a day-for-night scene that was mistakenly presented as "day" on the VHS.

COMEDY OF TERRORS/THE RAVEN--COMEDY OF TERRORS: 2.35:1, 16 x 9; interview with Screenwriter Richard Matheson; trailer. THE RAVEN: 2.35:1, 16 x 9; interview with Director Roger Corman; interview with Screenwriter Richard Matheson; rare promotional record featuring the voices of Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre and Paul Frees; trailer.

THE HAUNTED PALACE/TOWER OF LONDON--THE HAUNTED PALACE: 2.35:1, 16 x 9. New high definition transfer--first home video release in original widescreen aspect ratio! Interview with Director Roger Corman; trailer. TOWER OF LONDON--Letterbox 1.66:1; interview with Producer Gene Corman; trailer. (Note: Director Roger Corman was invited to participate in the discussion of this film, but chose to defer to his brother).

THE TOMB OF LIGEIA/AN EVENING OF EDGAR ALLEN POE--THE TOMB OF LIGEIA: 2.35:1, 16 x 9; two audio commentaries--commentary track # 1 with Director Roger Corman; commentary track # 2 with star Elizabeth Shepherd and film historian David Del Valle (from the Image laserdisc); trailer. AN EVENING OF EDGAR ALLEN POE: 1.33:1 (shot for television).

THE HOWLING: SPECIAL EDITION--1.85:1, 16 x 9; 5.1sound mix; new 48-minute documentary; commentary track from the Image laserdisc; deleted scenes; outtakes; trailer; more.

HORROR PROMOTION:
THE GHOUL: 70th ANNIVERSARY RESTORED EDITION--Karloff fans rejoice! Available for years only in murky transfers made from a ragged, cropped Czechoslovakian print, MGM's new transfer is the first U.S. release utilizing the film's original 35mm elements held by the British Film Institute. Extensive digital restoration was used to remove thousands of instances of film damage and clean up the soundtrack. The result is a transfer of THE GHOUL that looks and sounds better than anything available for 70 years.

RAW MEAT (a.k.a. DEATHLINE)--1.85:1, 16 x 9. Original uncut British version, featuring gory footage trimmed from the U.S. release.

SQUIRM--1.85:1, 16 x 9. New high definition transfer of the original uncut version approved by director Jeff Lieberman. Audio commentary by Director Jeff Lieberman

BURNT OFFERINGS--1.85:1, 16 x 9; audio commentary with Director Dan Curtis, Screenwriter William F. Nolan and star Karen Black; trailer.

CLOWNHOUSE--1.85:1, 16 x 9; trailer

I, MADMAN (a.k.a. HARDCOVER)--1.85:1, 16 x 9; trailer.

ONCE BITTEN--1.85:1, 16 x 9; trailer.

HORROR DOUBLE FEATURES:
POLTERGEIST II: THE OTHER SIDE/POLTERGEIST III--POLTERGEIST II: 2.35:1, 16 x 9. POLTERGEIST III: 1.85:1, 16 x 9. Both films include trailers.

GHOULIES/GHOULIES 2--Both films are 1.85:1, 16 x 9, and include trailers.

TROLL/TROLL 2--Both films are 1.85:1, 16 x 9, and include trailers.

---------------

I will be purchasing almost all of these (definitely not the TROLL films, ugh), and while there are still several horror films I'm dying for MGM to release, I'm still happy as can be! August can't come soon enough!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
MGM is getting a ton of my money come this August (definitely including the Troll disc!). I can finally retire my Ghoulies II LD and not worry about acquiring the first film anymore.

DJ

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, COUNTESS DRACULA is my favorite of those - so it won't be 16x9? Or is that "better" with that ratio?

Thank you,

S

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I am ecstatic about these releases, especially THE GHOUL, a film that I've purchased several times on VHS in search on a good print(I never found it), and THE COMEDY OF TERRORS/THE RAVEN double feature. Thanks, MGM!

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I never thought I'd see the day that Troll II would hit DVD. This is unbelievably good news, knocking another of my top ten most wanted movies off the list.

Excellent news about Squirm, too.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Once Bitten in 16x9..GREAT MOVIE! now Jim Carrey fans can rejoice:)

I'll also pick up the Poltergeist sequels for the hell of it.

I remeber seeing Clownhouse, starring Mr. Sam "Confessions of a Dangerous MInd" Rockwell"..boy that movie was bad, might just pick it up for that very reason:)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
These will all be mine! I can't wait! Thanks MGM.

Is Clownhouse THE Clownhouse - as in, the controversial one? Good thing there's no director commentary track. I'd pass on it for that reason, but it has Sam Rockwell so I'd really like to see it.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

AMEN to that. Too much! Had no idea this was coming out and will definitely get it, along with many of the others.

Finally, The Howling SE!

AN EVENING OF EDGAR ALLAN POE: what's this?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The Howling looks good, on line with the quality of MGM's The Fog...I hope.
Hell almost every one of those flicks look pretty good to the midnight movie nut in me.

I'm pretty sure it is that Clownhouse and I'll personally stay away from putting any residuals whatsoever in the pocket of it's child molesting director.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
MGM doesn't do 16x9 on 1.66 titles, which is a shame.

Vampire Lovers and Burnt Offerings make my list. Mmm, Karen Black. :)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I'm sure Victor Salva will see no money from this release whatsoever. Few directors are on royalty payments - often it's just a one-off lump sum fee, especially with low-budget quickies like Clownhouse when there's no knowing how much money they'll make.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'll be buying all the Corman films. Tomb Of Ligeia is a masterpiece and the disc specs should be awesome. This is the best Midnite Movies batch yet.

Thanks, MGM! :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

michael deakin

Deceased Member
Real Name
Michael Charles Deakin
Hi guys.
Just checked the site and they also mention the release of the "Monster Club" in June with commentaries. And "Frankenstein and the Monster from hell" with commentaries by Dave prowse and Madeline Smith. They also mention that a audio commentary has been recorded for "Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter" but no date has yet. Great news.
mike

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
"COUNTESS DRACULA/THE VAMPIRE LOVERS--COUNTESS DRACULA: Letterbox 1.66:1; complete, uncensored British cut; commentary track with Director Peter Sasdy, Screenwriter Jeremy Paul and star Ingrid Pitt; trailer. THE VAMPIRE LOVERS: l.85:1, 16x9; commentary track with Director Roy Ward Baker, Screenwriter Tudor Gates and star Ingrid Pitt; excerpts from "Carmilla" read by Ingrid Pitt, accompanied by stills gallery; trailer. This includes all of the restored footage from MGM's VHS edition, plus the full-frontal nude shot of Ingrid Pitt emerging from the bathtub that has never appeared on any previous U.S. video release! This transfer also corrects a day-for-night scene that was mistakenly presented as "day" on the VHS."

I have never watched COUNTESS DRACULA (1972) and was not all that taken with THE VAMPIRE LOVERS (1970) in my sole viewing of it so far. Nevertheless, I have it on VHS. That said, the prospect of two more Hammer films presented on DVD in their OAR and Uncut – to say nothing of the bonus material, which promises to be quite interesting – seems too good an opportunity to pass by, especially at MGM’s typically low prices!

"COMEDY OF TERRORS/THE RAVEN--COMEDY OF TERRORS: 2.35:1, 16 x 9; interview with Screenwriter Richard Matheson; trailer. THE RAVEN: 2.35:1, 16 x 9; interview with Director Roger Corman; interview with Screenwriter Richard Matheson; rare promotional record featuring the voices of Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre and Paul Frees; trailer."

I have the latter on VHS (which I have watched twice so far) but the former I watched some 15 years ago and barely remember. Actually, my father has this film’s novelization which was published at the time of its release (which I did read), as well as “The Pit And The Pendulum” and “The Premature Burial”. Supplements for this Double-Feature seem to be well up to par.

"THE HAUNTED PALACE/TOWER OF LONDON--THE HAUNTED PALACE: 2.35:1, 16 x 9. New high definition transfer--first home video release in original widescreen aspect ratio! Interview with Director Roger Corman; trailer. TOWER OF LONDON--Letterbox 1.66:1; interview with Producer Gene Corman; trailer. (Note: Director Roger Corman was invited to participate in the discussion of this film, but chose to defer to his brother)."

Neither of these films are among the best films of Corman and Price. Still, after being disappointed with THE HAUNTED PALACE (1963) when I first watched it, I taped it recently and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was this time around. I have only watched TOWER OF LONDON once, and though it’s been only like a couple of years ago, I barely remember anything about it! (I wish that Universal releases the original 1939 version, which I have never watched, pretty soon along with another batch of their 30s and 40s horror classics!)

"THE TOMB OF LIGEIA/AN EVENING OF EDGAR ALLEN POE--THE TOMB OF LIGEIA: 2.35:1, 16 x 9; two audio commentaries--commentary track # 1 with Director Roger Corman; commentary track # 2 with star Elizabeth Shepherd and film historian David Del Valle (from the Image laserdisc); trailer. AN EVENING OF EDGAR ALLEN POE: 1.33:1 (shot for television)."

The TV program sounds pretty interesting, but having 2 Audio Commentaries for THE TOMB OF LIGEIA (1964) is fantastic! Incidentally, I consider this to be the best of the “Corman Poes”. (All these MGM horror titles have reminded me that I have yet to check out my DVDs of THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM [1961] and THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH [1964]/THE PREMATURE BURIAL [1962], which I purchased some time ago, to say nothing of THE OBLONG BOX [1969]/SCREAM AND SCREAM AGAIN! [1969] and CRY OF THE BANSHEE [197O]/MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE [1971], which I have yet to place an order for!)

"THE HOWLING: SPECIAL EDITION--1.85:1, 16 x 9; 5.1sound mix; new 48-minute documentary; commentary track from the Image laserdisc; deleted scenes; outtakes; trailer; more."

I have this on VHS but was rather let down by the film when I watched it. Considering it’s hype as one of the best werewolf films around, I don’t think it holds a candle to AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (1981). The plot is rather bizarre for this type of film (the first half was quite creepy, in fact) and the “in-jokes” are certainly amusing, but the monsters here never evince the viewer’s sympathy - which I think is a crucial fault, as this aspect is the heart of John Landis’ film and also, of course, the Universal “Larry Talbot” series.

"THE GHOUL: 70th ANNIVERSARY RESTORED EDITION--Karloff fans rejoice! Available for years only in murky transfers made from a ragged, cropped Czechoslovakian print, MGM's new transfer is the first U.S. release utilizing the film's original 35mm elements held by the British Film Institute. Extensive digital restoration was used to remove thousands of instances of film damage and clean up the soundtrack. The result is a transfer of THE GHOUL that looks and sounds better than anything available for 70 years."

I own THE GHOUL (1933) on VHS, sort of, meaning I have the battered Czech print (which is the only way I have experienced the film so far). Apart from a great British cast, the film is interesting for its references to both THE MUMMY (1932) and THE OLD DARK HOUSE (1932) and, although it doesn’t quite scale the heights of either of these two masterworks, it’s a thoroughly enjoyable minor effort from Karloff and Co. – one that I’ll be glad to purchase again (even if it ends up being bare-bones), so as to finally have it in a hopefully decent and complete version, which I don’t doubt seeing that the print is coming from the BFI!

"RAW MEAT (a.k.a. DEATHLINE)--1.85:1, 16 x 9. Original uncut British version, featuring gory footage trimmed from the U.S. release.

SQUIRM--1.85:1, 16 x 9. New high definition transfer of the original uncut version approved by director Jeff Lieberman. Audio commentary by Director Jeff Lieberman

BURNT OFFERINGS--1.85:1, 16 x 9; audio commentary with Director Dan Curtis, Screenwriter William F. Nolan and star Karen Black; trailer."

I haven’t watched any of these and have no idea quite what to expect, as regards to both content and quality. The major points of interest for me here would be the above-average credentials for all three, so anyone cares to recommend them – or make known his opinion of them? Actually, I just read the DVD Maniacs review of Jeff Lieberman's BLUE SUNSHINE (1976), coming soon as a 2-Disc Set from Synapse - and I have to say I found it mighty intriguing! Also, Blue Underground should be releasing Gary Sherman's DEAD AND BURIED (1981) in the near future. As for Dan Curtis, I have long had my eyes on his Anchor Bay Darren McGavin Double-Feature DVD, THE NIGHT STALKER (1971)/THE NIGHT STRANGLER (1972), and MPI's disc of DRACULA (1973)/THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE (1968), both starring Jack Palance.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
MGM is pretty much my favorite studio right now. First The Fog, then Teen Wolf, and now the Poltergeists, Ghoulies, Squirm, AND Troll? God bless MGM and their appreciation for cheeseball 80s horror. An God bless them since none of these will likely reach above the $9.99 mark.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
michael deakin wrote (post #16):

Admittedly, the "in-jokiness" and epigonal references do get a bit thick in The Howling---that's, unfortunately, a Joe Dante trademark---, but on balance I prefer it to American Werewolf. The producers were trying to tie the former film to the California-based self-improvement fads that sprang up in the '70s, which may have seemed bizarre then, but are surely "old news" by now. (Now they're on national tv here, on shows like Oprah.) The idea of a werewolf self-improvement movement . . . .

"Sympathy" schmympathy. The werewolves here seem to be genuinely threatening, rather than just "sad sacks" with behavior-control problems. Besides, the make-up effects for Howling make for more tense, and slightly more realistic, transformation scenes for me. (No old pop-rock vocals to "soften" the blow.) I think Rob Bottin did so much better work with so much less money to do it with than Rick Baker, it's not even funny. Now, there's a "no-contest" for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks