What's new

Ed - 3/28/03 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it was just me, but, DAMN! Carol looked great after she took off her knight's helmet! Whoa!

Frankie and Ed are now starting to annoy me.

Chris Isaak's appearance wasn't all that special.

Mike's foray into sexual self-help (err, should I rephrase that) was funny.

Helping Eli get back on his feet (at least metaphorically) was a good subplot.

It's actually kinda amazing how much they packed into one episode of Ed.

Jon Torres

Second Unit
I was totally expecting Frankie after the "I can be romantic too" notes. Sorry Carol, you're too late.

Don Black

Screenwriter
The Carol revelation was a complete shocker. I'm predicting that Ed dumps Frankie and the Season 4 is all about Ed/Carol.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
The Carol revelation was a complete shocker. I'm predicting that Ed dumps Frankie and the Season 4 is all about Ed/Carol.
It was set up nicely. I went back and forth as to who would be in the armor. Like you, I thought that it would be Frankie after her insistence that "I can be romantic, too." Then, she before he locked the door I thought "it's Carol; it's the perfect 'Ed' twist."

I don't think Ed will dump Frankie. Rather, I think that Frankie will not want to settle for being Ed's "consolation prize" or the woman he "settles" for after he concludes that Carol is out of his reach.

Someone posted a link in another "Ed" thread -- sorry -- to an article that quoted one of the show's producers. Talking about the switch to Friday and the remainder of the season, he said that the producers felt an obligation to those who had watched the show from the start to "resolve" the Ed/Carol storyline. It was gratifying to hear someone actually express concern for the viewers' feelings, although I couldn't help but get the feeling that he suspects that there won't be a season four and, thus, wants to give us some sense of "closure." If my fears and speculation are correct, all I can say is: bring on the DVDs!

And, Patrick: you're right. Julie Bowen looked oh-so-cute in the armor with her hair down.:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I agree - an extraordinarily strong episode for Ed. Great writing, acting, delivery, everything.

Eli's subplot was especially touching, knowing the Daryl is a paraplegic in real life. I thought showing him getting dressed was a brave move for the show and the network - a difficult reality most of us with working limbs take for granted. I also really liked the scene with Ed and Eli at night in the bowling alley.

Julie Bowen's performance in the episode was fantastic. It was the first time in a long while I was basically rooting for Carol. She was able to convey longing, regret and desire without being cartoonish. The conversation with Molly was so well done.

Ed and Frankie - hard to know what to say. They are such a good couple together. Incredible chemistry, similar without being clones of each other. Except - to paraphrase Ross from "Friends" Season Two - Frankie's not Carol.

I thought Mike and Nancy's subplot was very funny, but it felt cut off. I suspect there was more that ended up being cut to fit into the time alloted. The Josh Randall does so much with a little - his delivery, expressions and body language are great comedy weapons.

I also thought Carol looked stunning after taking off the helm. But I've thought she's been looking very tasty ever since she's been letting her hair grow long.

I don't think Ed will dump Frankie. Rather, I think that Frankie will not want to settle for being Ed's "consolation prize" or the woman he "settles" for after he concludes that Carol is out of his reach.
I agree. Frankie is too strong and independent be ok with being second place.

Ed and Frankie's storyline was so well done. On one hand, there was no real reason for Ed to have told Frankie about his history with Carol. On the other hand, I certainly can understand Frankie feeling threatened and wanting Carol to be a settled issue. Interesting how Ed basically lied to Frankie about how Carol took their late night talk. Ed saw the tears, and knows Carol well enough to sense she's not ok.

A couple of nitpicks--

Why did they get Chris Isaak to guest star? The part was actually necessary to the plot, as it helped Carol realize it really was Ed she wanted. However, why get a big name guest star to play a small role? Odd.

Also, the continuity errors with the snow and cold were pretty egregious this time. Carol and Ed talked at night in cold and snow; the next morning, the exterior shot of Eli's house had greenery and NO snow. I realize they have to shoot outdoor scenes ahead of time, sometimes even months ahead of time. I was able to forgive it, but if/when the series comes out on DVD, these gaffes are going to be really evident.

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
I agree about Chris Isaak, but if it did anything for the ratings, then go Ed! :)

On the one hand, there was no real reason for Ed to have told Frankie about his history with Carol. On the other hand, I certainly can understand Frankie feeling threatened and wanting Carol to be a settled issue.
I disagree - not disclosing things about Carol made it look like he was hiding something.

Also, Michael, your post made me remember that last night I was thinking how Carol can really make you want to throttle her at times, but she's (IMHO) realistically drawn. Molly was right when she said she's been flaky, but I know a lot of people who have acted like that in this sort of situation. The female characters on this show are well-done: they're distict from each other but not cartoonish. Especially Frankie, it can be tough to have a smart, tough female character because she can seem strident, but they've done a great job with making her human. But really that's true for all the women on the show. (Except for that idiotic Molly Shannon character a few weeks ago.)

When I saw the previews, I thought, "Oh no, now that Ed's in a relationship, Carol wants him. SNORE." But the writers really sold me on it.

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
I thought it was a fitting plot twist for Carol to finally be interested in Ed.....

Ed had always liked Carol, but he didn't despair until she hooked up with Dennis. When Ed broke them up, Carol was angry and resentful.

Carol has reached that state of despair now that Ed is happy with someone else. Now it is Ed's turn to be angry and resentful (for about 1 episode, if you ask me).

Usually series take a nose-dive after the two leads have hooked up, but I for one think that Ed could work brilliantly with Ed and Carol as a couple. It has the characters and writing to flourish without the constant Ed/Carol tease. All I can say is that I hope there is a season 4!!

What do you think?

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
This show is the only one I take the time to watch and enjoy consistently; if it tanks, I'm going to have to start watching West Wing or something; in other words, I REALLY hope there is a Season 4.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Carol can really make you want to throttle her at times, but she's (IMHO) realistically drawn. Molly was right when she said she's been flaky, but I know a lot of people who have acted like that in this sort of situation.
I agree. THe human heart is perverse in that way. We fear what's best for us and we pursue that which we know will make us miserable in the long run.

The funny thing about this show is that, notwithstanding its quirkiness and postmodern exterior, it's basically a pretty optimistic program. In the "Ed" universe, we can overcome our past mistakes and make a fresh start; we do get second and even third chances; and people like Phil and Warren aren't merely tolerated, they're loved.

An acquaintance of mine wrote an article right after the show's debut in which he said that, in some ways, "Ed" is a "what if" take on David Letterman's life. A kid from the Midwest leaves NYC before it finally crushes him spiritually and goes home to re-discover his better self. Whether you agree or not -- and I think there's something there -- "Ed" is a repudiation of Thomas Wolfe's maxim that "you can't go home again." You can and sometimes it's the best thing we can do.

This is why, BTW, I think Ed and Carol will wind up together. It completes the circle.

Jack_Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a bit confused about the notes that were strategically placed in the bowling alley.

My thinking is that they were, in fact, left by Frankie...based upon the scenes from next week where Ed comes home to find her amid candles and such.

Carol being in the armor had nothing to do with the notes...except perhaps to confuse Ed even more.

Am I way off here?

Jon Torres

Second Unit
I'm a bit confused about the notes that were strategically placed in the bowling alley.

My thinking is that they were, in fact, left by Frankie...based upon the scenes from next week where Ed comes home to find her amid candles and such.

Carol being in the armor had nothing to do with the notes...except perhaps to confuse Ed even more.

Am I way off here?
It was Frankie who left the notes because at the end of "I can be romatic, too" there was a hotdog and E meaning Frankie. Carol's visit was just a coincidence.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Patrick, thank you, thank you, thank you. :D

The human heart is perverse in that way. We fear what's best for us and we pursue that which we know will make us miserable in the long run.
Roberto, just wanted to say a brilliant and well-written post. I find your idea intrigueing and has merit.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That's how audience expectation was built up and to have Carol show up in the Knight's suit out of the blue was the twist to set up more romantic tension within this love triangle.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Finally got to see the episode.

Great episde. Interesting to see what they do with 2 shows left. I'm also really hoping for a S4.

A friend of mine saw Julie Bowen's interview on Carson's Last Call:
Carson asked if they were ever gonna hook up.
She says yes

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Thank you, Michael. :b

I'm not big on TV shows on DVD, mostly because I'm not big on re-runs. But "Ed" works on so many levels that it stands up to repeated viewing. (That and it's filmed in Ridgewood, NJ, a town I know very well.)

Now it's Carol's turn to "come home." While, unlike her sister, she never left Stuckeyville, she's been looking to outsiders like that idiotic writer Nick in the first season -- at least I think he wasn't from there, certainly not culturally -- and Dennis to give her what a guy she's known most of her life has offered. While it was unnecessary to cast Chris Issak as the new teacher, he did fit the type that Carol would normally go for -- only this time she didn't.

I spend way too much time thinking about this, don't I.
:frowning:

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
he did fit the type that Carol would normally go for
I'm not sure I agree with this, only because we have so little information on the new teacher's character.

While your idea of Carol's reaching for men from outside Stuckeyville is interesting, I think that you've left out a very important part of her problem - she seems to instinctively reach for men who treat her like crap, or least as very secondary parts of their lives.

Right now, we simply don't know enough about Isaak's character to lump him in with Nick and Dennis. He seemed nice enough, to me. He certainly didn't raise all the a**hole red flags Dennis did. :laugh:

My take is that Carol has done some reflecting and growth, and wants something healthy and good. Isaak's character may represent an expression of that growth, but Carol realizes she doesn't just want any nice guy, she wants Edward J Stevens!

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
"Please drop your pants and open your workbook to page 13." :laugh::laugh:

Great episode (and I hope we see more of Kathleen Miccio as Dorene -- wow!!).

Rob

Hunter P

Screenwriter
I'm crying. I keep missing some important episodes. I missed the wedding episode and now this. I did catch the last five minutes though. Damn I can't wait for summer reruns or the DVD's. But I'm sure that NBC will preempt the reruns for special showings of Jurassic Park or Titanic or something.

Oh, woe is me.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks