Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Enormous interest in $3,000 processors.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 02:04 PM

For some reason I thought that the majority of contributors to this forum were receiver kinds of guys. I have been totally shocked to see the Anthem AV-20 thread with over 1500 posts! I had no idea that there were so many on this forum willing and able to spend $2,500-$3,500 for a processor.

Last time I saw this much interest it was for the Outlaw 1050 receiver ($500)?

I guess I am one of those trailing edge guys. I'd be happy with a new Lexicon MC-1 for $1800.

Artie

#2 of 24 Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 02:42 PM

If you can afford it and you enjoy spending your money on HT then why not? No different than any expensive hobby such as cuisine, wine, cars, golf...
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#3 of 24 Camp

Camp

Screenwriter

• 2,303 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 08:03 PM

1500 posts populated by what, 30 individuals?

#4 of 24 Prathavan V

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 07:58 AM

Quote:

Actually just 27 Posted Image Just kidding, but you're right Camp, there are just a few fairly regular posters on that thread, and there's been a lot of 'casual' posts made that have resulted in the multitude of posts. It probably coud have been broken into several different threads based on all the directions it's taken, enough so that it's almost its own "anthem forum" rather than an "anthem thread"Posted Image Still, I'm looking forward to a new thread for V2.1......
Pro V

#5 of 24 Sri

Sri

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 08:19 AM

I'd be happy with a new Lexicon MC-1 for $1800

where in PA can you find a new lexicon MC-1 for $1800. Thanks

#6 of 24 Lee-M

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 09:03 AM

Sometimes when my wife remarks on the expense of my audiohome theater enthusiasm (and mine is relatively inexpensive compared to many), I offer to take her to the local "outdoor world" showroom to look at the $25,000 boat and trailer setups the locals buy to just go out on the lake (not to mention the $250 fishing poles and $500 shotguns, along with all the gear)...

#7 of 24 Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann

Screenwriter

• 1,394 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 09:15 AM

Camp,

Quote:
I find 74 unique names in the thread. I would agree that 30 seems to be close to the number of regular and occasional posters. At least 30 others had general interest in the AVM-20. The other 10-15 were from posters not interested in purchasing the AVM-20.

Michael

#8 of 24 Ricky T

Ricky T

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 10:41 AM

Michael,

You actually counted all 74 names Posted Image

Arthur,

You picked up an MC1?

#9 of 24 Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann

Screenwriter

• 1,394 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 11:26 AM

Ricky,

If you mean manually, no. I used a C program that I modified (took about 5-10 minutes to set up) to perform a search through the html for that thread. Here's what the program produced:

AlanWms
Andrew Pratt
andy giddings
Annette F
Bill Lucas
Bill Wilkins
Bob Wilson
Bob-N
Brian Fitterman
Brian Florian
Brian Gentry
Brian Sizelove.
Bruce N
Camp
Chas_T
ChrisHeflen
Craig Morris
Dan Hitchman
Daniel Levin
Dave Moritz
Dean_Sol
Dennis Oblow
Doug_B
EdB
Eric_Strickl
Erik_C
Evan S
Gary_Z
George Kouzev
James Elvick
jason willder
Jason_S
Jay Mitchosky
Jay Sylvester
Jeff Keene
Jeff Kleinberg
Jeramy_K
Jerry Klawiter
Joe Ar
Joe e h
John.Meer
JonA
keelan t
Kevin C Brown
Lee Wilson
Lee-M
Marc_E
Mark Dubeau
Matthew Woodley
Michael Langdon
Michael Mohrmann
Miguel Stanic
Mike Koch
Mike Loiterman
MikeAF
Paul Gere
Phil M
Philip-j
Prathavan V
Randy Haines
RobertR
Ron Alcasid
Ron Duca
SavoyR
Scott Pierson
Shawn Fogg
Siravut
Steve*MH
Todd Schnell
Tom Camlioglu
Tony Genovese
wayne p
Wayne_T
Wolfgang.K

Some names you might recognize as owners of other processors, but they ended up posting on that thread.

Michael

#10 of 24 DarrylM

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 04:27 PM

And the winner of the Guys Who Have Too Much Time on Their Hands Award goes to... Michael! Posted Image

#11 of 24 Serge Breton

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted March 30 2003 - 08:23 AM

Michael, you just made my day. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image :P)
Serge Breton

#12 of 24 Tom Camlioglu

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 03:47 AM

And the winner of the Guys Who Have Too Much Time on Their Hands Award goes to... Michael!

Really, I'm appalled!! You (Darryl) should be so lucky to have a guy like Michael on your side ...

If it wasn't for his dedication and devotion to helping fellow Anthem owners out there ... IMO none of us would be enjoying our processors to the extent that we are!

BTW - how is your brother Larry, and your other brother Darryl doing? :wink:

TomPosted Image

#13 of 24 Prathavan V

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 04:03 AM

DarrylM's name does not appear of Michaels list, but the rest of as ARE very lucky to have someone of Michael's dedication, devotion and wealth of knowledge on our side.

Michael, I applaud your efforts and, based on the comments in that monster thread, I'm pretty sure that I can speak for the other Anthem owners on that thread and say that they feel the same.

Tom, your comment to DarrylM
Quote:
BTW - how is your brother Larry, and your other brother Darryl doing?

I'll be laughing until I stop!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Pro V

#14 of 24 aldamon

aldamon

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 05:26 AM

Quote:
If you mean manually, no. I used a C program that I modified (took about 5-10 minutes to set up) to perform a search through the html for that thread. Here's what the program produced:

LOL. You could have just clicked on the number of replies to see who posted in the thread.

#15 of 24 Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann

Screenwriter

• 1,394 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 05:33 AM

Quote:
LOL. You could have just clicked on the number of replies to see who posted in the thread.
I was unaware of this feature. Thanks! Posted Image

Anyway, I have been working on parsing tools recently and thought this would be a quick test of my logic. I think I have provided more humor than useful information! LOL! Posted Image

Thanks again,

Michael

#16 of 24 Greg Conti

Greg Conti

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 11:22 AM

Quote:
where in PA can you find a new lexicon MC-1 for $1800. Thanks

There is a JBL Sythesis dealer on ebay that occasionally puts up the JBL SDP-3 for $1800 to $1850. Brand new. Current software etc. The SDP-3 is a rebadged MC-1.

#17 of 24 Lee-M

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 02:24 PM

I viewed my HT processor purchase similar to that of a new computer purchase; the newer, more feature-rich unit you obtain, the more ahead-of-the-curve you'll stay, given the constant upgrades in formats, features, etc. That (plus the sheer quality) was what prompted me to buy the
AVM-20 (blessed credit cards).

I am also a little uneasy about used computer components, whether for my pc or a home theater processor.

On the other hand, analogue stereo equipment (especially the higher-dollar higher-end stuff) offers a pretty good bargain, and I am a firm adherent to the break-in philosophy where such equipment is concerned.

#18 of 24 DarrylM

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted March 31 2003 - 03:26 PM

I'm not an Anthem owner.

#19 of 24 Bob-N

Bob-N

Supporting Actor

• 915 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 04:37 AM

Darryl, figured as much.Posted Image

If you frequent the AVM20 thread, you'd probably picked up that Michael has contributed a lot to that thread. His list of names I took as a joke. I cracked up.

Anyhow, I'm not a current owner either, but am looking to jump up the ladder sometime this year to the AVM20 or the Rotel 1098 (after early adopter's feedback). So I constantly check in on the AVM20 "boys" to see what issues they bring up.

Bob

#20 of 24 Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted April 01 2003 - 06:56 PM

Michael has helped me *many* times. He also helped others with extremely detailed trouble shooting suggestions and procedures.

Nobody paid him to do this work and I'm sure he could have spent the time working, with his family or actually using his AVM-20 to watch movies or listen to music.

He is a major contributor to the forum and I, as well as many others sincerely appreciate his efforts.

I don't want to start a flame war, but I think some of the comments made were unnecessary and a bit demeaning.

Back to Receivers/Separates/Amps

Forum Nav Content I Follow