Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DIY RPTV Tweaking

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   FrantzM

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 12:03 PM

Hi Forum

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong Forum area. I was out of Video for a good five years. I never left audio. The pace is much quicker in video these days definitely when I left HDTV was a dream now less than 2 K buys you an HDTV RPTV!!!

I am going to acquire a new RPTV (and also a DLP Front Projector, next year) but my question concerns the RPTV. Is there a good thread on how to tweak an RPTV. Securing the mirrors. Darkening the interior minimizing light spills and mechanical focus.

Let me know

Frantz
Port-au-prince, Haiti

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 01:45 AM

Most of these questions can be answered at

www.hometheaterspot.com

which has forums for each brand and a general tweaking seciton.

SMK

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 03:17 AM

We all love the Spot, Steven, but Frantz came here to HTF to ask this question. And numerous threads regarding members' ISF-level calibrations of their sets discuss such internal tweaks as lining the interior of RPTVs with dark material to minimize internal reflections and such. Our own Gregg Loewen and Michael TLV, both of whom are ISF-certified technicians, can tell you much in this area. In fact, I will ask them to check out this thread.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted March 29 2003 - 08:13 AM

hi guys!!

Steven, thanks for your support :-(

Frantz,

HTF has a lot to offer you as a tweeker wanta be.

If you have a specific question do a search on it and you will most likely find the answer. If the answer cant be found please post your question.

Jim Doolittle (imaging expert) has been surfing by HTF lately. This morning I even saw Kevin Miller (ISF instructor) replying to a post. Also ISF gurus like Mike Hamilton and Dave Abrams (Dave works with Joe Kane). Not to mention regular posts by Guy Kuo the creator of AVIA. HTF can offer you the video expertise you need. However please keep in mind that not all video experts (myself included) will discuss all types of tweeking for non techs due to warranty / manufacturer concerns.

Best wishes!

Gregg Loewen

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   FrantzM

FrantzM

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted April 09 2003 - 02:52 AM

Thanks guys.

Frantz

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted April 09 2003 - 03:25 AM

Greetings

Tell us which set you have and it will be easier to tell you the specifics. Techniques vary between brands and models.

Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com