What's new

I took the plunge. How long will my svs sub take to get home? (1 Viewer)

Luis M

Second Unit
I just bought the 20-39 CS+ and I am already going crazy. I am a patient man but when it comes to new stuff for my hometheater nothing helps. I wonder how long will it will take to get my theater rocking?.

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
I'd count on 3 - 4 business days from the time they ship it. What amp are you going to use with it? Do you currently have a sub?

Good Luck, Mitch

Luis M

Second Unit
I am going to use an old adcom, the 555II briged to mono which puts about 800 watts at 8 ohms. that should be enough. I hope it makes a big difference from the sub I am using now. Klipsch, which I used for a very short time but did not convinced me.

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
I had a pair of Klipsch KSW-12 before i got a 16-46CS+. You won't believe the difference! Actually that amp is 850w into 4ohms :) I'm pretty sure that'll get the job done :D

Enjoy it, Mitch

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I also used a Klipsch KSW-12 before I got the 20-39CS+ and there is absolutely no comparison except both plug into the wall. I know you will love it. Turn on Beastie Boys "Brass Monkey" and it feels as though you are at the concert. Breathtaking bass, simply amazing, not to mention you will jump about 3 ft out of your seat the first time you feel the punch in the THX intro before the Phantom Menace. I just watched 8 Mile two nights ago and although I thought the movie was average to OK, the 20-39CS+ just made the movie immensely enjoyable. Thats the kind of bass it is, it makes mediocre movies good and good movies great. All I need now is a second one.

Luis M

Second Unit
I am dying here, you are doing nothing but making the next 5 to 6 days an agony. I hope it gets here very fast. I can't wait to hear it, I felt better yesterday when I had not ordered this thing, Isn't that weird?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Good things in life usually take a little time as you know. 5-6 days is a walk in the park compared to what some of the other possibilities are. It's right around the corner. Wont be long now. It's guna happen.

Richard_M

Second Unit
Just remember when you get it don't have it too loud!!!

All you Home Theater buffs in the US with these BIG SUBS are giving us poor people from downunder a head ache:D

And they used to call us "Thunder from Downunder" I beginning to think we may lose the title!

Good luck with your new sub, BTW one of the things I do when I am stressed waiting for a new toy to arrive, is go and spend some money on another toy just so I have something new to play with:)

Richard

Chip E

Screenwriter
Luis,

Why don't ya go to Best Buy and pick up some new movies... Think of it as food for your new SV sub :D

Luis M

Second Unit
Why don't ya go to Best Buy and pick up some new movies... Think of it as food for your new SV sub.

Rest assured I'll do that but revesiting the movies I already own will be a lot of fun as well.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Maybe SVS can give you a tracking number? Certainly you've contacted them (?) as they can give you this info.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

Don't you know this is a word problem? Remember high school?

"If two trains leave the station at 12 noon, one traveling at 50 MPH, the other traveling at 60 MPH, how long before your head explodes." :)

Luis M

Second Unit
Maybe SVS can give you a tracking number? Certainly you've contacted them

I ordered the sub at around 7:00 pm friday night. I did receive an automatic bill information letting me know that I would get a tracking number and that my credit card would be billed accordingly when the sub ships.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
the 555II briged to mono which puts about 800 watts at 8 ohms. that should be enough
Be careful using a bridged amp in this fashion. I believe the SVS's are 4 ohms (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). When you bridge an amp, each side only see's 1/2 the impedence; in this case, 2 ohms, with possible lower dips.

If your amp cannot handle such low impedences, you could fry your amp.

How much power does you amp put out unbridged? You may still have plenty of power without bridging your amp since SVS subs are very effecient. Also, keep in mind that if you are driving only one channel of the amp, you will probably get a bit more power out of that one channel than it's rated (good amps are usually rated with all channels driven).

Enjoy!

JimmyK

Luis M

Second Unit
Jack says....Perhaps you could post the # when you get it and we can all follow it across the country

Luis says....Perhaps we can collect some money among forum members so that you can enjoy your very own sub.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
How much power does you amp put out unbridged? You may still have plenty of power without bridging your amp since SVS subs are very efficient.
Another good point. But when comparing the 850watts bridged vs the 325watts per channel you're probably looking at a gain of about 4-5db. But THD levels raise a bit. I would definitely try it out both ways and see which way you prefer. Ultimately, what I would do is get a second sub and use each channel. A second sub will give you more output than the extra wattage and you'll not be running the subs as hard/be less prone to bottoming them out. Though you may find one sub to be enough.

Luis M

Second Unit
(Be careful using a bridged amp in this fashion. I believe the SVS's are 4 ohms (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). When you bridge an amp, each side only see's 1/2 the impedence; in this case, 2 ohms, with possible lower dips.)

Jimmy, This is some information I found in some old leterature and a Stereo Review" article from november 1986.

These high-power, high current amplfiers easily and acurrately interface with virtually any speaker available
today including some troublesome exotic types whose impedance falls as low as 1 ohm.

Laboratory measurements:
Dynamic power output: 352 watts into 8 ohms
630 watts into 4 ohms
1,120 watts into 2 ohms

1,000-Hz continuos output power at clipping:

242 watts into 8 ohms
352 watts into 4 ohms
465 watts into 2 ohms

Briged:frowning:mono mode)

760 watts into 8 ohms
900 watts into 4 ohms
(no readings in 2 ohms, I wonder if this has anything to do with what you've just mentioned about impedance being too low to actually get a reading without the amp shuting down?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Luis,

It doesn't get tested into "2ohms bridged" since that would make each side of the amp "see" 1ohm. Since your amp is rated into 2ohms per channel AND is rated at 4ohms in Bridged mono mode, you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks