What's new

Service plans on HDTV (1 Viewer)

JeffPh

Agent
I'm planning on buying the most expensive TV I've ever owned, and I've begun to consider the service plan. I'd like some feedback on these plans. I'm looking at the Toshiba 36" flat HDTV (not cinema series), and I found a great price on an "open item" one. So is it worth $300 for a four year in home service plan? This is from Best Buy...any comments ?

BrianDB

Agent
Got a Costco near by? Check out the 36HF12 for $1499. It is the "warehouse" version of the 36HF72. The reason I recommend it is Costco's return policy. You may return your purchace to Costco at any time if you are in any way not 100% satisified with it. Essentially it takes place of the Service plan. If it breaks out of warranty, you just take the set back to Costco and they will give you your full purchase price back on the the spot (it is actually in cash). So IMO, no the 4 year service plan is not worth it for any price.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Jeff,

I bought an open box toshiba at best buy in 2000 and it worked for about 20 seconds when I brought it home. I then called to get it fixed the repair man said it was a temporary fix until the part came in.

The temporary fix lasted for about 20 minutes after he left. He told me in 4-6 weeks the part would be in. I then called to check on the status after 4 weeks and the person on the phone said "oh no one called you" and then continued to tell me " it is going to take 8-12 weeks to get that part".

My wife then called toshiba direct and their answer was yes it was going to take 8-12 weeks. When my wife told me this I called toshiba and asked why it would take so long toshiba said that's how it is with repair parts . I of course said why can't you get one from the assembly line and overnight it to me. Needless to say this went back and forth until I finally received a brand new TV which took a total of 8 weeks from the purchase date to actually have a working tv in my living room.

Well having said that the picture tube just blew again (red image uper left corner of the screen). Now I have to start the argument all over again. Good thing I have the 4 year extended warranty.

The only reason I bought the toshiba is because it had the fewest repair problems. I of courase will never buy a toshiba product again. I don't care how good ratings it gets

Bottom line is get the extended warranty.

Just my 2 cents
Ed O"Neill

JeffPh

Agent
Well, I was afraid that I might miss the chance so I went ahead and bought it. I've been looking at this TV in the Cinema Series for a couple of weeks, but this deal was very good, so I couldn't pass it up.

Here's what I got...Toshiba 36HF72 for $1259.00 It was marked down to $1399, and I made them give me the 10% off coupon. I then bought the $299 four year service plan. All total, with a 2m Monster Video2 component cable, I got it for less than what the "brand new" alone would've cost me. The only thing wrong with it was no box...as far as I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks