Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DVD Audio

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 09:01 AM

Is it possible to have a HTPC set up that can play DVD audio discs?

I think that the new Audigy2 cards will allow you to do this, but does nayone know of software out there now?

I am currently running an SB Audigy card, and really don't need to go out and get yet an other multi speaker card.

"Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it."

#2 of 10 Tekara

Tekara

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 10:02 AM

I have heard, as in I haven't tried, that you could use any DVD player program and have it spit out the signal over the s/pdif cable for the DD5.1. it should play the audio with just a blank picture. I don't know about the audigy cards but I see no reason why it wouldn't work to at least some good degree with them.
"Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous
"The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai

#3 of 10 Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 10:20 AM

Most DVD AUdio have a DVD-Video side, so they would play that

#4 of 10 Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 10:51 AM

Thanks guys, I guess I was looking for an application, or the ability to read/decode the native DVD audio format.
"Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it."

#5 of 10 Tekara

Tekara

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 11:00 AM

uhm, computer DVD players that I know of that are pretty good are powerDVD and winDVD. they should work great for your needs.
"Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous
"The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai

#6 of 10 Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor

• 729 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 11:34 AM

WinDVD plays DVDAudio format? Really? I will have to check out the site, as I have the platinum version of WinDVD.

Thanks

#7 of 10 Tekara

Tekara

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 11:42 AM

yeah, I believe that your standard DVD player programs will do the DVDaudio. . . and Jeff mentioned that there is usually a video side of the audio so it should work.

#8 of 10 TyC

TyC

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 11:45 AM

Actually, I believe the only way to enjoy hi-res DVD-A on the PC is with Creative's proprietary software.
"I HATE WIDESCREEN! I HATE THE BLACK BARS!!!"
"You are like the little kid that trades dimes for nickels because nickels are larger."

#9 of 10 GaryEW

GaryEW

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 01:17 PM

As far as I know the only DVD Audio format capable software solution is the Creative software with the Audigy2 sound card. M-Audio is supposed to be working on DVD Audio software for their Revolution 7.1 sound card, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

#10 of 10 Brae

Brae

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted March 29 2003 - 12:40 PM

Interesting thread! My computer has an Abit IT7 motherboard with on-board 6-channel audio. But, if I did not wish to 'process' the bitstream and simply use the optical output on the motherboard could I pipe this into my Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX using a managed optical input?

Essentially, I suppose this comes down to a condition similar to the optical output streams of a standalone DVD lpayer not using internal processing, or like my satellite receiver.

There has to be some sort of mechanism, though, to get the DVD lpayer to actually START playing the drive with just a DVD-A disk ni the drive, and this is what puzzles me.