What's new

Can someone explain Zelda WW hype to me? (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Let me preface this by saying that I played and enjoyed most of the Zelda titles since the original, although I didn't finish Ocarina on the N64 (lost interest.) I just can't seem to get excited about WW, it looks like Orcarina 1.5 to me.

What my question revolves around is what is new in Wind Walker? Not graphics, sound, etc. upgrades, but how has the gameplay or story changed to make it so great? From what I saw and played, it seemed like the same game as Ocarina, just upgraded a little.

I want to get excited about Zelda (I really want to understand), fanbois please tell me what's new to get excited about...

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Yeah I kind of wondered that myself. I'm not really too interested in getting it as I really don't have time to play it with so many other games I'm playing right now. I had a chance to get it a few days early too, but didn't. I think the main reason for the hype is that it's another great first party title for the Gamecube and they're the reason most people even own one, I know it's why I have one.

DavidBelis

Agent
I was originally disappointed when I heard about the cell shading last year, but I just picked up the game, and let me tell you that it really is amazing.

I've played for almost 4 hours now, and it's just such an amazing game. It has a very similar feel to Ocarina of time, but I think that's a very good thing, as the nostalgia from this classic game (Ocarina) is great.

I would called it OoT 1.5 at all, though. Aside from the Zelda feel, and some things that remind you of OoT, it's a completely different game. The worlds are enormous, the cell shaded graphics are awesome (takes a little while to get used to them, but after you do, you won't want to go back), and the gameplay is simply genius.

Plus, the game is hilarious, as well. It really is a great game.

I really highly recommend playing it for a while. Don't just give up after 2 minutes of playing. Give it a chance, and you're almost guaranteed to love it.

From what I've played so far, it's my favourite game so far this generation of consoles. (I like it more than Halo, Eternal Darkness, Timesplitters 2, Mario Sunshine, GTA3/GT:VC, GT3:A-spec, and so far, even more than Metroid Prime).

I really suggest giving this game a chance. If you like Zelda games (or any games for that matter :D ) in the slightest bit, I think passing this game up would be a big mistake.

Just my two cents.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I didn't finish Ocarina on the N64 (lost interest.)
Joe, if this is how you feel about Ocarina of Time, so be it, but sheesh, no wonder you're apathetic about WW. Anyone who doesn't consider OOT an amazing game is obviously going to find nothing special in WW. It's just not being mystified over. Go enjoy the games that make you happy and let us 'fanbois' enjoy our Zelda goodness.

:D

peace out
~j

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
After playing through a dungeon in WW with a friend (his copy) using the GBA-GCN link cable (so I was using the GBA to help him play the game), I can say the game is a blast. If not because it's just fun, then because it's so genious.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Cool posts, morgan can you explain the GBA-GC link in Zelda to me? I didn't even know it had this option. How do you help them?

David - Cool info, I never minded cel shading to begin with. I'll have to think some more about it, see if I can convince a friend to buy it first to see an entire dungeon.

Joe - No need to be negative man, I'm just asking for info. Losing interest doesn't mean I don't like Zelda, it just means it was a long game. ;) A lot of great games fall that way for me: FFX, GTA3, Zelda, etc. I enjoy them, but they either get too hard, too long in the tooth, or a new game pops up and it gets shelved. Can you explain the differences from OoT so I can understand?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
First, you need a GBA, a GCN, the GBA-GCN link cable, and Zelda:TWW. In TWW, you need to get an item (it looks like a GBA with an antenna on it). I forget what it's called. Once you get the item, connect the GBA to the GCN in the second controller port, use the item, and you can then "talk" to Tingle (I think you might need to be in an area with a map in order to use this, not sure).

The person on the GCN plays the game as usual.

The person on the GBA plays as Tingle. They can drop bombs on certain areas to help the GCN player or use other items (all of which cost rupees). They can also see where hidden items, such as rupees or things that will get you better upgrades are. Every once in a while, the GBA player will see something pop up on the screen that says there's a hidden item in a room and it will give a clue as to where it is. You (on the GBA) also have a map of the room and the locations of all the enemies and Link.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Joe, don't try the first dungeon, I hate it and I love the game. Do the Forbidden Fortress, it's awesome. The game is interface-wise similar to Ocarina of Time, but it's thus far been much more fun (and I did love Ocarina myself).

Everything is taken to the next logical step in Zelda. Old items have been given upgrades, the new items are interesting, there's an unbelievable sense of exploration and discovery, more than ever (imho).

It's hard to explain, but playing this honesntly gives me a sense of wonder. When you find something new and exciting, it really does feel exciting.

There's even shocking continuity, which is something brand new for a Zelda game, and the story is the most interesting so far of any Zelda I've played (keep in mind I'm only a couple dungeons in, but it's impressive).

As Dave also noted, the sense of humor in this game is great. There's one character who keeps popping up in the darnedest places and he makes me laugh every time I see him.

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I'll go to the store and play the in-store demo for this game to check it out, but I just don't agree with the hype. I was a huge fan of Zelda since the original through OoT. But I never even looked at Majora's Mask, and this new one looks a little, well, childish to me.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I still can't figure why people who've played the first half of Ocarina of Time complain about Wind Waker looking childish.

I'll give Wind Waker a big bonus over OOT actually since it doesn't have a damn forest fairy village at the start :p). I can take cute, but that pushed clear past it into annoying.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The style of the game is amazing. If not because it's high quality and I enjoy it, then because it's consistent. Sure, it looks like a cartoon, but EVERYTHING looks like a cartoon. The water (waterfalls, ripples, flowing streams), the explosions, the shadows, everything is perfect and maintains the feeling of a cartoon.

And beyond that, it's just fun!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Seriously... The Wind Waker is the best RPG I have ever played. It's like Ocarina of Time on CRACK :D

Me and my friends have also decided that it has the best story out of all the Zelda games thus far. I feel it has set a new watermark that all RPGs after it will have to follow.

Just going around the ocean looking for things is going to take me a couple of weeks :eek: I keep running across new places to explore and sidequests to complete.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
The hype is there because it's a good game, and the GC had a huge software drought before and is going to have another one after.

I like it quite a bit, but I must admit that it's tragically overrated(#2 of all time at Gamerankings? yeah right....). Graphically, it flip flops between absolutely amazing and first gen N64ish, and it's all been done before gameplaywise. Gameplaywise, it's all been done before, and they even took the liberty of ripping off Sly Cooper wholesale for one of the early dungeons.

I'd definatlely give the game a high recommendation because it's a lot of fun and has broad appeal, as long as you're not overly critical. The hype is just that though: hype. If this game did not have the Zelda name on it, it would be scoring 9's instead of 9.7's

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
There isn't a single N64ish bone in it's graphical body.

And there might not be anything all too original in it's gameplay, but it's 3D Zelda for goodness sake. They have a system and formula that works, that people love, there's no need to revolutionize it everytime.

The game is niped and tucked into a nearly perfect game though. It does much of the same, but nearly all of it is better. Better graphics, better control, better story, better dungeons, better items.....

To expect anything super revolutionary is being unfair. It's not making the jump from 2D to 3D again. It's not a brand new series trying something that's never been done before, it's simply the latest, and possibly greatest, Zelda game.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If you never even looked at Majora's, you missed out. It's one of the most fantastic games I've ever played, and better than OOT, IMO. It's too early to say if this one will surpass it, but it's a blast so far.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
The most disappointing thing about Majora's Mask is that so many people missed out on it.

Truly as amazing as Ocarina of Time, and in some ways, more unique as well.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
One of TWW's biggest features is how well it plays into itself. Yeah, Link's a little kid, and yeah, he's cel shaded, but when everything works within the realm of him being cel shaded and a child so well (in terms of the overt cartoonishness of everything) then it's just enjoyable to look at.

BTW, I don't think the in-store demos do the game justice. Rent it or play it at a friend's house to get a better idea of the game.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
There isn't a single N64ish bone in it's graphical body.
Other than about half the environments I've seen so far, which could easily be confused with TOOT qualitywise. The geometry and textures, to be honest, suck for the most part IMO. Given how good the bosses look, I think the GC has enough power to pull off a lot more than it did in the dungeons and towns. This judgement is based on the 40% of the game I've played.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i couldnt stand playing OOT, but i enjoyed WW a lot. OOT looked very outdated and i cant really get past the control. i really hate the control!

WW deserved all praise it got so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks