What's new

DVD Audio Cable setup (1 Viewer)

ColinW

Agent
I just got a DVD player that is DVD Audio compatible. In my old setup I used an optical cable for audio.

What is the best way to set up the audio connection to my receiver? If I understand correctly the DVD audio signal will not work through optical and I need to set up the 5 channel audio cables? My amp has the inputs for 5 channel audio, so I can go either way. I am just curious if my audio for DVD movies will suffer using the 5 channel sound, or if it will be OK.

Also, if I have both 5 channel analog and optical cable connected will the movies use optical and the DVD Audio use 5 channel analog?

Finally, if I am going to use 5 channel do I use regaulr RCA audio cables, or is something special required?

Thanks for any help.

Colin

TomCW

Second Unit
Colin,
Hook up 6 rca cables to 5.1 in and 1 optical cable to DVD in on your receiver. Select '5.1 in' (or whatever it's called in your setup) for DVD-A, and 'DVD in (optical)' (or whatever it's called in your setup) for movies and let your receiver do the decoding. You can try using the decoders in your player for movies, but the ones in your receiver are probably better. As to cables, I'll bypass that debate, thank you!
Tom

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Tom is correct, do what he says. im goign to drop in my two cents on cables, all i used were two sets of composite video cables from acoustic research. works fine for me.

ColinW

Agent
Thanks Tom and John. I will hook the player up using regular audio cables and use that input for DVD Audio and leave the optical cable for movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks