What's new

A photo of the AV15 in a Stryke Power cube. (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
Doh!!! Out of site out of mind. I have a QSC RMX850 on the closet shelf in the next room. The closet doesn't have a door so it's open for plenty of ventilation. I also figured it was cheaper than buying the quiet fan and having to install it.

I don't have it bridged so I'm pushing the AV15 with about 350 watts into 4 ohms. I think I will try it bridged with 830 watts into 4 ohms to see if I notice better control or clarity.

Also, I didn't forget about taking the measurements this Sunday. All looks clear for Sunday, however, I doubt if I'll be able to take max measurments for two reasons:

1) My wife would have to be gone.

2) I would have to make sure my downstairs neighbor is out. He's cool with the sub and the bass but I can tell you now that my 214L vented Tempest Octosub wasn't as heavy handed and authoritative as this design so I think that I would easily push my neighbor past his limits along with everything else. However, I do have to recalibrate my BFD for the Power Cube so I will take that opportunity to get some readings at my 85db reference point.

How's that?

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
Could you describe the rest of your system and your general impressions on how well the sub performs with music and HT?

Does it integrate well with your mains when listening to music?

What are you using for crossover to your mains?

Which PRs did you go with? 1600 grams?

I just ordered two 18"-1600gr PRs from John and I'm on the preorder for an AV15. I'm real curious if you find that 350 watts is sufficient to get plenty of bass. That will make my shopping for an amplifier easier...

Thanks,

Al

Martice

Screenwriter
Hey Al,

For more information about my system and my 11x17x9 room, just hit my link below. As far as how it sounds with music and HT I can't give any conclusive information as of yet but hopefully I can by the end of this weekend.

However, I can give you some FIRST IMPRESSIONS on the sub as far as it's overall character while watching Titan A.E., The Haunting DTS and U571.

Out the box it didn't seem as nimble as the 214L Tempest sub I had before but I remember that I thought the same thing early on about the Tempest when I first hooked it up to the same system in the same room. I will say that the Power Cube SOUNDS different than the Tempest in the upper and lower frequencies and also seems heavier and less colored and without any signs of stress. I've wondered if passives and ports really do sound different and if that's what I've been experiencing. Mind you, I am using a pro amp with the Stryke sub as opposed to a plate amp that I used with the Tempest based sub so things like headroom and better bass definition and clarity seem to be evident with the Stryke sub.

The bass can get extremely heavy when I push it and sometimes to the point of no longer being a part of the movie and sounding more like something outside of the movie and the achievable levels in my smallish room is overkill by a long shot. Proper cablibration will remedy that however, I often wonder how much of this sub my room will NOT allow me to use.

I liken this subs character to going from a 750cc sport bike(Tempest)to a 1000cc cruiser. Everything just seems to come and go easier with the cruiser although it's obvious that you are reaching the same hazardous speeds you did on your 750cc sport bike. I normally use the Stryke audio disc to find rattles and loose surfaces in my room and with the Power Cube I found a few more creaks from 20hz up to about 60hz at my calibrated level of 85db. Creaks that I didn't realize were there with the Tempest sub.

I will have more chew-able information over the weekend but if I go any further it would really be reaching and not helpful to anyone that is looking for more conclusive information.

*** Slightly off topic note. I took a shot on the Klipsch DD5.1 processor and it really is the best buy for budget minded HT fans who are still users of 5.1 in their HT. It really is a nice unit and pretty darn flexible for the price. It has rca connections just like any other processor and has a pretty flexible Bass Management system in place.

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
I love this forum. Great information... good reward for taking short breaks. Gotta get my work done...

Thanks for the tip on the Klipsch DD5.1 processor. Right now, I'm only shooting for 2.1 HT. So far I'm really pleased with my Ellis 1801s as mains. The low-end is what really needs help. Once, I finish the subwoofer, I'll be thinking about a center-channel so I can see how much I'm missing.

I'll check out your HT site and see if there's info on crossover... I bet you are using a Merchand (sp?).

Al

PS. Now, I remember that Darren Thomas made the AV1+s for you! No wonder your system looks so familiar. Darren is a great guy and a good friend. Very nice setup.

Martice

Screenwriter
PS. Now, I remember that Darren Thomas made the AV1+s for you! No wonder your system looks so familiar. Darren is a great guy and a good friend. Very nice setup.
Not quite AL. Although I've seen Darren's work in person and on Ellis Audio's web site, he didn't build those particular AV1+'s. Infact, they were built by Brian Bunge of Link Removed (fine gentleman) and they were finished by Rob Lloyd (My Bud)of this forum.

However, I can say that Darren's work is absolutely astonishing and his repuatation is growing quite rapidly on various forums around the net. He's built a pair of Adire Kit 281's for a client of mine and we both thought his work was top notch. I am having him build me some bass traps and I expect nothing short of the same wonderful quality that we've already seen from him.

Here's his link to anyone who may be curious.

Thomas Woodcraft

A

Anthony_Gomez

looking good :) can't wait for the update after you have spent some good time with the AV15 :)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Martice, what type of finish is that exactly? Is it a simulated wood grain laminate or is it oak painted black? I ask that because that is exactly the look I want for my AV12 enclosure. Love the black enclosure with the silver cone!

Martice

Screenwriter
Martice, what type of finish is that exactly? Is it a simulated wood grain laminate or is it oak painted black? I ask that because that is exactly the look I want for my AV12 enclosure. Love the black enclosure with the silver cone!
It is pretty convincing isn't it. The finish is actually a simulated wood grain laminate. I like dark colors in the listening room so I knew that the sub had to be black although I had no idea that John of Stryke Audio was going to do such a nice job.

Martice, does the Klipsch DD 5.1 come with remote? Where did you get it from and how does the sound quality compare with your previous processor. Also I noticed you said that your Behringer tube EQ was unhooked, are you utilizing the EQs in the Klipsch?

Martice

Screenwriter
Also I noticed you said that your Behringer tube EQ was unhooked, are you utilizing the EQs in the Klipsch?
No I wasn't using the Behringer for the EQ section as I by passed it totally and I don't use the EQ's in the Klipsch unit either. I used the Behringer for the tube stage it has with hopes to get a little of the tube feel with my solid state. I have since decided to go and get a Antique Sound Lab LH-01 remote controlled tube pre amp for 2-channel music listening.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Martice, you wouldn't happen to know where I could get a laminate like that would you? I tried Wilson Art but they don't have a black oak laminate. :frowning:

Thanks for the thorough response Martice. I also have AV 1 pluses with a Melos tube preamp. For movies do you set the speakers to large and let the AV 1+ roll off at 60 hz or is the ICBM transparent enough that you don't hear any loss when it is inserted?

Martice

Screenwriter
For movies do you set the speakers to large and let the AV 1+ roll off at 60 hz or is the ICBM transparent enough that you don't hear any loss when it is inserted?
Hi Greg,

I thought about setting the Av1+'s to large but opted to crossover the speakers at 60hz as in my HT link photo will show. I cannot hear the ICBM in anyway except for when I change the crossover settings. I can hear the differences in the AV1+'s sound when I turn the sub off and I switch the crossover settings on the ICBM. That's the only time that I can hear it's effect on my system. Which is the way I'm supposed to hear it.

Martice

Screenwriter
I have some preliminary numbers after calibrating my sub. I only have the pre BFD numbers and my system was calibrated at 85db.

Here are some corrected readings:

18hz - 72.0

20hz - 81.5

22hz - 84.5

25hz - 89.0

28hz - 94.0

31.5 - 94.0

36hz - 94.5

40hz - 96.5

45hz - 92.0

50hz - 85.5

56hz - 85.5

63hz - 91.5

71hz - 92.5

The crossover is set at 60hz.

I notice the big dip I have between 50 and 60HZ as well as the slight peak at 40hz. Anyone have any ideas on how to address the big dip at 50-60hz?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks