What's new

Transformer Hum/PS Audio Ultimate Outlet? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
I have a mechanical transformer hum in my NAD T752 receiver. From what I read, this is due to something in my A/C line.

Would something like the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet help? I know they have 30 day return policy, but if it definitely won't work, I don't want to waste their time and mine.

I have tried the usual things- all dimmers off, no fridge motors, etc., but still it hums. It is definitely mechanical; I cannot hear it through my speakers- it is coming from the receiver itself.

Ironically, I replaced an Onkyo 575X receiver that had a ground loop hum whenever my satellite dish was hooked up. That went away with the NAD receiver, but now the mechanical transformer hum... What to do???

Thanks

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Nope. Won't help a bit if what you're describing is a mechanical hum originating from within the receiver. I'm assuming you've confirmed that by disconnecting everything from the receiver and just turning it on. Don't know if your receiver is still under warranty, but if it is, it needs to be serviced. While it would be tempting to open the unit up and take a stab at localizing the source, likely that'd void any warranty. Speculation on my part would be something in the power supply is amiss. Whether its vibrating because something's loose or you've got an issue with the rectifier...well we could go on and on with speculation.
As far as your earlier problems with the satellite dish, that could well have been an issue with the cable coming from it not having been grounded properly or at all. Often, that can be fixed by the user (at some expense) by products from a number of sources such as JensenTransformers which serve to break the ground.

James Edward

Supporting Actor
One thing I forgot to mention- I have the receiver, TV, DVD and HD box all connected to a RadioShack surge/line conditioner. Could this be causing the transformer hum? I can't find the exact model to give the Model#, but it is the one with 11 outlets, and says it is made for home theater use.

You would think it easy to just unplug the receiver from the strip and into the wall, but the way all this equipment is set up, coupled with a horrendous back, makes this difficult.

I just thought I'd ask before moving the TV(57") and some other components out of the way. Thanks for your help.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd certainly hope the RS wasn't doing something like that and can't imagine how it would. Nothing more in there than some filter and MOV's for surge protection. Look, just find a way to disconnect the receiver and plug it in by itself...run an extension cord if you have to. That'll put your mind at rest that it's not the other components. But if it is as you said, a mechanical hum from the receiver, you need to get it serviced. Ain't no product out there gonna fix something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks