Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

calabration question?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 02:30 PM

I was wondering i live in canada and the cheapest spl meter is $90 and i have know idea where to get a avia disc other than online, what kind of stores if any have these discs? and how much better could it actually sound i have a da4es all my channels are turned to +5 and i sounds good to me because i like lots of sound out of rear and back surrounds. i've gat a cerwin-vega, paradigm setup with a ps-1000 sub how much difference do you think it would make and would it be worth the $150 to buy the gear? and does the disc tell you what to set everything to? i look forward to hearing from you!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   EricSm

EricSm

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted March 27 2003 - 02:52 PM

It sounds like you answered your own question. What you like is what matters most. If it sounds good to you then it sounds good. That said, if you are trying to recreate in your home theater-- as best you can-- what the filmmakers intend for you to hear as far as speaker balance goes then the SPL would certainly help out. You might find you get better balance and a more even soundstage with a properly calibrated system. But if louder and more rear sound equals better sound from the rears, a calibration will most likely ruin that sonic nirvana for you. If you are just looking at doing a basic adjustment you could rent any number of THX certified DVDs that have the THX optimizer and with the SPL they will probably do for a casual users one time adjustment. Personally, I love the Avia disk. It's like a good friend to me, but it may not be for everyone.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 03:49 AM

Nathan, I got my SPL meter off ebay for $30 US. Unfortunately I did have to pay $70 for the Avia disk. Also do not forget that the disk will help your video set up as well.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." Frank Zappa

Dealer listing for Toronto & Area

My Shiva

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Leonard B

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted March 28 2003 - 03:42 PM

A&B Sound carries Avia for $73.00. I got it online from Amazon.ca for $68.00, including free shipping and taxes. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users