What's new

Please help me pick a projector (1 Viewer)

CharlesJII

Auditioning
I was going to get a new rear projection TV, and I’ve decided to go with a front projector instead. I'm going to use it at home, mostly for movies, and some DTV in a 16 x 20 room. In doing my homework, based on what I've read, I need at least 1000 lumens, and I would like 1024 x768. Is DLP really an appreciably better technology in appearance? I’ve been looking at refurbished In Focus LP130 and LP350’s What do you think?:confused:

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Some basic Q's:

- what's your budget or preferred price range? does this include the screen cost?

- what size image do you desire?

- what will the throw distance be?

- what degree of control do you have in this room over ambient light?

- you mention the unit will be mostly for movies, so why the preference for 1024x768 (this is 4x3, not 16x9)?

CharlesJII

Auditioning
Michael,

- I hope to spend around 2,000 or less for the projector, exclusive of screen cost
- Approx. 6 x 8
- With ceiling mount approx 16 feet
- Limited control over ambient light, given the fact of a rental home with south facing wall for projection. My thoughts include using drapes behind screen, anticipated use mostly at night.
- I thought that the 1024 x 768 would provide greater image clarity, no?
- By the way, what should I consider for a screen given what I’m working with?
Thanks

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I thought that the 1024 x 768 would provide greater image clarity, no?
Compared to what? Are you talking about a lower resolution projector? Anyway, there are wide panel digital projectors in that pricerange too. In particular, check the Panasonic L300U, Sony HS10, Sanyo Z1. Actually, there is an active thread on these projectors in this forum. Check it out...here

The wide panels will be advantageous when you view widescreen movies much the same way a 16x9 RPTV would be.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Charles:

Like Neil pointed out in his thread this is a nice discussion going on in the thread concerning the three leading projectors in the sub $2,000 range.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks